Paid another lease payment after it was paid off?

My searches didn’t show anything specific for topics, but I did see another thread that kind of mentioned getting a check back so I’m thinking that will likely be my answer.

Ally lease on a 2021 Wrangler, would have ended in October this year. I was test driving one of the vehicles on my short list for when it was over at the end of December, and they made me a deal that made it worthwhile for me to have them buy it out 10 months early.

I kept keeping an eye on the Ally site for my account, and my payment was due the 13th of the month, over 2 weeks after the I traded it in on a new vehicle (this time it was a purchase to simplify things down the road). I know sometimes they are slow to pay off, so I waited about a week after my due date, still in a grace period, then figured I’d better pay it just so it doesn’t ding my excellent credit. Decades since I’ve had anything negative on it, want to keep it that way.

Apparently I should’ve waited ONE more day. Yesterday showed the amount due, so yesterday I sent the payment electronically via my bank (Chase). This morning I see 0 balance, so that dealer paid it off in full yesterday apparently. Unfortunately this morning is when Ally would’ve received my $595 payment on an account that has zero balance. I got into a chat with them, asked about it, and what happens to that now that they received a payment from me on an account that has no balance. The person in chat I was stuck with said I’ll have to talk to the dealership that I bought my car from.

To me that made no sense, since I don’t know why Ally would send THEM the money. In another thread I saw someone mention that their lease company sent THEM a check for some overage not some other dealer. Is that what I ought to expect? Or is there some other avenue I need to pursue? My previous vehicle was also leased, but from the same dealer I got this last leased Jeep from, so they simply did an easy peasy swap when I got out of THAT lease early for a different Jeep.

Wish I had been patient for one more day, but you know how that goes…

Thanks for any information

J

That is what will happen

2 Likes

Unfortunately not. Apparently there was some screwup with the dealer’s payoff, and Ally reversed it. Suddenly my payment was applied as normal. Next day the dealer tried again and this time it processed but it processed for EXACTLY the amount it should have LESS my “extra” payment. So they saved themselves the exact amount of my payment on what they were charged. Now it looks like I’m going to have to chase after the dealership that screwed everything up to start with…

Be happy that the ‘dealer screwup’ didn’t ‘screw up’ YOUR credit rating for missing a payment with Ally.

??? Why should I be happy that I had to go make an extra payment because they didn’t do it in the 10 days they said they would?

There’s nothing to be happy about that THEY didn’t screw up my credit since they had nothing to do with it not being screwed up. You should say I ought to be happy that I was able to keep them from screwing it up. Totally different concept.

Just trying to undo a credit ding is much more work than trying to get some money from the dealer.

Yes they did you wrong, yes they screwed up. But you did the safe thing which was make a payment. I know several people who tried the tough route and spent months trying to undo a credit ding which affected future items.

You have an issue with the Dealer. Not with the Credit Bureaus.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.