Outsource Your Childcare to Mary Poppins šŸš¼

Our kids are young - 1, 3, and 7, so I expect college to considerably more expensive when they go to school and weā€™ve been funding 529s to be around $100k/kid, fully expecting to have to pay more when the time comes.

I have no idea where the other guy got the 100K figure from. But thatā€™s the upper end.

Not everybody is going to go to an out-of-state school or private school. You can get the same education for much less in-state.

60k for Columbia last time my friend who got accepted told me. Before R&B. Vandy total is 83k for me (Dream school, havenā€™t applied yet, next year).

Future MENSA members, I suppose then?

For $35K/yr I could damn near hire a teacher so long as Iā€™m not too picky on their use of contractions.

Iā€™m not arguing quality of education by any means.

I was just recalling what I read. Just looked it up to confirm. Itā€™s Harvey Mudd in CA. Just under $75K/ yr all in.

You sure Vandy is $83?

Beautiful campus. Loved visiting there

Youā€™ll get in. Youā€™re an impressive young man.

That is actually nuts.

That was more directed to the first guy. I should have put him in :grinning:

1 Like

Best of luck in applying!

What scholarships are they giving out up there? E-sports team?

2 Likes

^^^^^ This :slight_smile:

Werenā€™t you just talking about tuition for cam girls?

1 Like

Maybe the cam girl would nanny for half.

For sure Mike. I pay $240/week for one kid in pre-k. When both mine were daycare age it was over $400/week. The cost is very very high but totally worth it. Being an early child educator is no joke and I have sooooo much respect for them.

I always used to joke - I could either have a brand new Porsche 911 or put my my kids in daycare and itā€™s 100% true :poop:

With the work from home situation I pulled my son out and have him and my daughter while I attempt to work from home. Pre-K is totally worth the $240/week :rofl:

6 Likes

Your premise is wrong.

Children are optional, and information on how to avoid having them is freely available. I can PM you some links.

2 Likes

I live in a relatively low cost area to the rest of you. My daycare for 1 kid is more than my mortgage (incl prop taxes and ins), car payments, & auto insurance combined. Thereā€™s literally no quality daycares in my city except for a few so they are ridiculously priced.

1 Like

ā€œAdvancedā€ daycareā€¦ what a oxymoron lol

Thought Iā€™d heard it all

1 Like

For the last 5 weeks we have been keeping our 20-month-old home due to covid-19 and the $1600/month we are paying for daycare is actually a good value. It is a demanding full time job to entertain/feed/change these cocaine addictsā€¦

4 Likes

My wife stayed home with the kids. When accounting for savings in daycare and the fact my wifeā€™s income would have been fully taxed at our highest marginal rate, transportation costs and all the other work related expenses, it was more or less a wash for her not to work. And the bonus was, our kids werenā€™t raised by strangers 5/7 days a week.

Where it hurts is chances for advancement/promotions if you take a few years to raise kids. Which sucks. And itā€™s probably the #1 reason more people donā€™t do it. My wife is a teacher, so not much room for promotion, just a loss in seniority.

I realize not everyone can do this. And not everyone is wired to be home with young kids all day either. But if you have the means, think about it. In my 'hood kids going to daycare is the exception not the norm.

1 Like

Sounds like an excellent business opportunity for someone to open up a daycare business.

3 Likes

My wife is due in about 10 weeks and she is very much looking forward to not going back to work to stay at home. Thatā€™s part of the impetus for us to move to Florida from California. Iā€™m taking a lateral in pay, but cost of living and taxes will help make up for a decent sized chunk of the delta in pay from her not working.

4 Likes

Does anyone use an aupair instead of daycare? Seems like that would be cheaper. I guess the social aspect of daycare is good but it seems crazy expensive. Iā€™m going to have to start looking into these things in a year or soā€¦

1 Like