Outrageous registration renewal California

I live in the NJ. Don’t talk to me about tolls. It costs like $15-20 to use any fucking bridge or tunnel around here.

Also, our gas tax keeps going up and fucking us. Everyone used to go into NJ for the cheap gas. The gas tax starting in October will be 41.4 cents/gallon. PA is at 59 cents a gallon. NJ will have the 9th highest gas tax in October, up from 10th highest. However, number 6-8 are at 42 cents/gallon, so we’re basically tied with them lol.

And NJ is already the most taxed state in the country, so keep that in mind. We have insane property tax, insane state income tax, insane tolls. $500 dealer doc fees. Everything here basically sucks.

Compared to Westchester County, we have it pretty good property tax wise. We also have lower sales tax and income tax than New York. Tolls are nothing compared to Florida IMHO, and NY makes many of the tunnels and bridges expensive. There’s a price to pay for being between two of the best cities in the country

2 Likes

As someone who lives in Texas I’d be happier living in NJ and paying those taxes. Grass is always greener on the other side though.

1 Like

YOu haven’t met Chris Christie yet. He eats small children for breakfast and creates traffic jams for lunch…

1 Like

2 Likes

we might have a heft doc fee in FL compared to $80 capped doc fee in CA but your yearly registration is outrageously expensive compared to FL (under $100) so while some lease deals are great in CA and doc fee is low, they just make up for it in yearly registration fees and net cost to leasee is prob higher.

Isn’t it insanely expensive to get license plates initially though? A relative said it was around $800

You guys also don’t pay state income tax. CA has one of the highest state income taxes in the country.

no, usually u transfer tag from car to car at lease end, about $200 or a new plate $300ish and then u can transfer that from car to car for $200ish

High fees, high taxes, high cost of living, earthquakes, wildfires, drought, smog, crazy traffic…what’s the advantage to living there again?

Cheap leases?

4 Likes

Well, for my profession at least - best pay in the country (SF and NYC probably same).

Awesome lease deals! What else?

MAGA! Move Away to Fly over country. I also find that CA has the highest salaries in the country. So you want highest salary but lowest tax?

No hurricanes / tornadoes. Snow optional (i.e. drive to snow if you want it), stuff rarely gets rained out, no humidity to speak of, even in 100+ weather. Easy job availability (in tech), for the most part, until 50+. And much like car incentives, lots of other advantages possible if you happen to agree with the conditions / restrictions - none of which I will get into here, because then this thread would instantly go to shit.

The shorts are shorter in summer.

2 Likes

I guess at least you’re not paying for gas, so that’s something.

One thing I miss about Texas is the yearly vehicle inspections. So many cars out here in California that are in various states of disrepair (bad tires, broken head / tail lights, etc) that wouldn’t have passed the muster in Texas.

Also, OP, is this your first new car you’ve purchased / leased in California? New cars get hit the hardest on registration costs since they look at the MSRP.

You think $400 is expensive? Please look at the penalty fee if you don’t pay $400 on time.

1 Like

License fees in CA are based on selling price, with that big fat TIF fee tacked on.