Out-of-state lease and how to drive it back?

Had the same thing happen to me back in 2009. Tried to lease a new Ford Ranger in North Carolina while living in Michigan. I did not make the deal.

I will skip that deal
recently I tried to lease an M3CS from a Southern California dealer , and they told me the same thing that I have to register the car in California despite the fact that I was shipping the car to PA
Then they changed their mind and they said that they can sell me the car without CA registration as they were desperate to move the car
It did not feel right to me so I passed
I did end up having even a better deal closer to me

2 Likes

Most dealers that I have worked for will do the title and tax in the state you reside in
The dealer will issue you a temp tag ( 30 days )

FWIW I leased from a dealer in CA living in MN. Just had it shipped to me. Dealer had 0 problem doing it and I had no problems whatsoever with registering it.

Just out of stupid curiosity, how much better deal you got from CA that you could not get in any closer midwest region? What was the shipping cost? 2-3% of msrp?

Probably not the best route but possible is getting a temp tag from Texas for a few bucks. Technically for transporting a car from TX but really no enforcement and can buy one online with a few clicks.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle/temporary-permits

Loaner X1, wasnt a unicorn deal but the savings from Greg Poland at Pacific BMW was way better then anything i could get here. And even after the $900 shipping cost it was still better then anyone here was giving me.

1 Like

Damn. That’s really good to know. Bookmarked this, thanks!

I think Pacific has the most inventory moved per year in the US.

Np… found it after US Bank f-ed up my lease transfer which left me with no registration or plates for over a month. Desperate times called for desperate measures as temp tags in NJ & NY are heavily regulated.

Yet they refused to give me anything more than 10% off a new car

I recently picked up a lease in NJ and had to drive it to NY. What I did was register the car in the NY DMV first, pick up my plates, and went to pick up the car in NJ and slapped my NY plates on. All paperwork was done via mail in the mean time. Don’t see why you wouldnt be able to do something similar if you do want to do the drive.

Yep, I worked with Greg Poland who was extremely helpful and easy to work with. The whole process could not have been better.

So did the dealer in NJ issue temp tags before you replaced them with your NY plate? I’m picking up a lease in NJ soon and driving back to WI, but want to transfer my plates from my other vehicle so I can’t do that until I get the car here.

It was a lease transfer so the owner had his plates for the test drive. But once BMW approved the transfer I didn’t touch the car until i registered it in NY and got my plates the same day at DMV

I leased my car in Marietta, GA and I’m in Brooklyn NY. At the beginning they were confused on how to apply NY taxes to my monthly payment, but they called DMV in Brooklyn NY and figured it out. I even ended up getting $176 check from a dealership after about 2 month.

Yea, i think YMMV depending on the dealer. Some do enough out of state deals they have the process down, some dont and will either refuse out of state deals, or its a tougher process as they have to sort out how to do it

Very useful advice. I just want to know more on option B. Am I able to get this One-Trip Permit by myself from CA DMV after I sign the lease? Or has to be through a dealer?

The link below has “One Trip Permit(CVC §4003)”, which sounds like what you mentioned.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr36