One pay options when you don’t have the capital

usually there is a fee no matter what even balance transfer checks. I would be surprised if a dealer would let you do a one pay on a credit card. The only hack here is that you can put the max amount the dealer would let you on a credit card and then pay the rest with a check. That is assuming you can cover the amount on the credit card. Any debit cards have cash back? That could be a hack too.

1 Like

You have a 401k plan? Take a personal loan from your 401k, pay yourself the interest. But there’s obvious cons on this. How large of a onepay? Is it on a Nissan? Toyota one pay might be slightly better bet to get some of that onepay back.

2 Likes

Ooof

I hate every bit of this

7 Likes

Hey, that’s a good tip.

For example, dealer let me pay $5k using credit card, for my last one pay. The rest via check. So, if you have signed up for a CC to get the intro bonus point offer and trying to find ways to reach the spend requirements, this can come in handy. Again, though, only if you have the cash to support all this.

1 Like

Got any balance transfer cheques?

For real though, I wouldn’t tie that kind of fluid money up (especially borrowed) if you don’t have it to liquidate or cover expenses in an emergency event.

1 Like

Those still charge a fee that offsets any potential benefits/cashback

2 Likes

Really bad idea and in general should basically never do a 401k loan

2 Likes

I just paid $3K on my credit card of the down payment on a car a financed, the rest on a debit card. At least I will get $30 back for Amazon lol

4 Likes

Does MSDs make more sense if you have a little bit of cash to throw at the lease?

1 Like

Should probably hit the restart button

1 Like

It’s not a cash advance
They treat it as a purchase that’s why I said 3% fee

3 Likes

Last time I did this was over 5 years ago not sure
I thought it was PayPal who did this

1 Like

1 Like

Can’t believe how many people fell for the troll.

SMH.

5 Likes

Why?

I took out a loan on mine to help us get to 20% down payment on our home to avoid PMI and get a better rate. I think that paid off really well. Of course, had the market skyrocketed rather than crashed, I may have done better leaving it, but not likely considering PMI is a BITCH.

2 Likes

2019 account, and 6d read time, that’s some freaking committment to a troll.

3 Likes

Glenn Close Mission GIF by Apple TV+

4 Likes

Nah, that’s a commitment:

p.s. we also had vhooloo committed and even being “trusted” before becoming a troll.

3 Likes

Hang on, who is the troll? :grinning: This is some helpful dialogue. I am learning a lot from this thread.

A little bit about my situation, I renovated my home this past year and have used up a lot of my savings. So yeah, maybe I don’t have the cash to do a one-pay, but I know better than to lease a vehicle that I could not afford to make the monthly payment on. My credit score is right around 800. I am in ministry (a youth pastor and graphic designer for my church), so I don’t make a ton of money…lol. But it’s worthwhile work though!

Therefore, I try to leverage every solid strategy if It’ll help me save a bit of money here and there.
So…I keep seeing some pretty solid one-pay deals from on leasehackr where, for example, a one-pay could be around $5900 compared to financing the lease at around $7500. Yes, I could finance, but what if I could save a considerable amount via one-pay while getting the funds to do so elsewhere?

So I was curious, if you were in my situation, what would your strategy be? I just want to be ready to make a move for when a sweet one-pay deal comes along.

Everything you have shared has been super helpful. I want to learn and I can’t be too proud to ask. You have taken me to school!

Thanks fellas for all the comments and advice! :raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

I renovated my home this past year

Get your home re-appraised then borrow cash from the HELOC line? Rates could be higher than car loan from CUs but if you have guaranteed cash influx in short term (like incoming RSUs, bonus, dividends… from your job) you can pay back the HELOC.

There’s technique people often do is to open a checking account at the same bank giving you the HELOC, then setup direct deposit to receive your salary there, then move as much as you can to the HELOC line. This saves you interest overall.

1 Like