One pay lease + residual instead of purchase

Hello Everyone,

I’m interested in buying a EV, specifically the e-golf. The problem is that I am unable to take full advantage of the 7500 federal rebate. So to help maximize saving, I’m thinking about perhaps doing a one-pay lease with the dealer so that they can pocket the 7500 rebate and I will just pay the one-pay upfront and the residual at the end of the lease.

Put in some numbers, let say the OTD that I’m shooting for is 26k on my end. I can offer a 13k for the one-pay and 13k for the residual (minus the sales tax).

Am I missing anything? I understand the risk of doing a one-pay and I will purchase GAP insurance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dealer has nothing to do with this - how that rebate is passed along (or not) is entirely up to the leasing company (or captive).

Also, residual value is determined by the leasing company and non-negotiable. You may want to reevaluate the deal and determine what is in your, or the dealer’s control. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I understand residual value is non-negotiable and I can accept whatever it needs to be as long as the grand total is the same.

Quickly looking at @rubbergash’s numbers, the deal you are looking for seems very doable. The RV for 39 months for an SEL is 29%, so it’s less than $13k (not including tax).

Gap does not protect you in a one-pay. You need to find out what the lessor’s policy is regarding refunding prorated one-pays in a total loss event

2 Likes

ex: for GMF leases one pay is special and you are protected (you would get a somewhat pro-rated amount back, but thats probably related to the fact that they include gap insurance).

1 Like