Off Topic Landfill 5

Onto the building with the IMAX sized teleprompter across from the White House.

1 Like

Sorry had to…worth the off-ramp/slow mode or whatever

2 Likes

Worth. It.

1 Like

That was some juicy back and fourth up there. Nasty attitude.

1 Like

PM me. I’m interested.

They won’t. It’s just frilly green dressing on a cash grab bill.

3 Likes

Everyone is upset here that the money a) can’t go to wealthy individuals, b) benefits American manufacturing and not the rest of the world and c) promotes better mining/cleaner operations.

Are we really upset by that? Most electric cars are selling for over MSRP- the existing industry does not need help. Upstarts (or existing companies) that do things the right way by complying with these regs should benefit. Not Chinese companies exploiting African communities and making bank.

1 Like

This we can keep, Toss the rest of the drek out.

1 Like

The “issue” here is the ability for the market to properly adjudt road maps to meet targets. This is a significant step wise change in the market. A more reasonable approach would have been to make changes slighlty more gradually, rather than “surprise! In 10 days, we are going to collapse the whole market!”

4 Likes

I’m no conspiracy theorist but one could surmise that this was the plan all along. I’m not ruling out neolithic incompetence though.

3 Likes

Not upset at the intent, just the execution.

6 Likes

One only needs to look at the amount of money allocated to the credit for 2023 for it to be abundantly clear that they are well aware that theyre pulling the rug out from under the industry.

In reality, this should be renamed the Chevy market dominance act.

6 Likes

Maybe if the other party in Washington DC was more willing to negotiate, bring reasonable ideas to the table- or God forbid- make a compromise- then the legislation would be better.

But party-line voting always results in bills that need to be improved. The Ds pushed it through, the Rs tried to kill it any way they could. We got what we got.

The Automobile market will adjust- you’ll see MSRPs go down to fit into the brackets allowed. Maybe even make cheaper EVs for folks making less than $300,000.

The same manufacturer’s will suddenly find new and better ways to make batteries in the USA, or assemble at American factories with responsibly sourced raw materials.

Billion dollar corporations can make adjustments- you’d probably be surprised to learn that fact- especially when millions of dollars are on the table.

1 Like

When you take scarce materials and significantly reduce supply, you dont drive prices down.

4 Likes

Covering rubbish with gold sparkles doesn’t make it gold.

1 Like

Looking at the team that he’s assembled it’s full with experts that are 63rd best in their respective fields so incompetence is always my default assumption.

3 Likes

And people who haven’t been able to afford an EV should now be able to. A US-made Chevy Bolt with cleanly sourced minerals can now be had around 20k - affordable for the vast majority of Americans. The bill seems like a great compromise, and should be lauded by both parties.

1 Like

Unfortunately, as soon as “climate” is mentioned, Republicans run the other way / have no ideas other than to block. Even though it’s their voters that are being affected the most now and in the future.

2 Likes

You mean the car that takes an hour to charge for every two it can drive? (at speeds where truckers aren’t passing you)

That’s besides the form factor not being necessarily compatible with people outside urban or suburban settings. Ludicrous defense of the GM Union Payback bill.

2 Likes

We are talking about a bill that significantly reduces tax credits being used to encourage ev adoption while padding the pocket of large corporations.

2 Likes