Off Topic Landfill 3

Continuing from off-topic landfill 2.

there is absolutely no way you wrote this unless you were heavily under the influence. Who you account sharing with? :laughing:

1 Like

I suspect Siri strikes again. The strongest sunstance Iā€™ve had since June is Advil. As soon as I saw Max quote it I edited the original, but my homophonic shame is quoted in posterity forever.

and now itā€™s double quoted (ā€œweakā€)

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Ah, feels good. I love calling out spelling and grammar so much so you donā€™t know how enjoyable this is for me. Iā€™ve also never tried using Siri for dictation but now Iā€™m going to start trying.

Iā€™d landfill this, but it is offramp, after allā€¦

1 Like

Wow I saw ā€œweightā€ and missed ā€œweakā€ :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

I donā€™t know if youā€™re an iPhone person or you use Siri transcription, but Iā€™ve watched it transcribe an entire paragraph grammatically perfectly, and then when the transcription is stopped it goes back over everything and makes edits, and the edits are wrong! If it does it enough, I open the notes app and make Siri transcribe horrible things about itself until Iā€™m not upset anymore.

This has been my Ted talk in an empty theater.

2 Likes

Wow how bad was the machine learning behind Siri?

1 Like

I have to reset the ML for my keyboard prediction periodically.

In the past week, Elon Musk admitted that the ML that was allegedly scanning all the camera footage from every Tesla for Autopilot actually isnā€™t, and probably wonā€™t reach v1.0 for a year because of all the corner cases. Itā€™s probably the least inflated thing he has sad about Tesla (opposite of ā€œa Tesla will drive itself from LA to NY entirely under Auto Pilot in $TODAY + 6_months). Itā€™s a hard problem to solve, and 99% is basically 0%.

Just because you can draw inferences from large data sets doesnā€™t mean the results arenā€™t gibberish.

And back Siri itself: the voice recognition still isnā€™t as good as when they first bought it, when it used all of Nuanceā€™s technology, since ļ£æ took it in-house. Not that they arenā€™t capable of engineering a better solution, but Nuance owns 99% of the speech patents.

That story was hilarious when I first read it, andā€¦ itā€™s still funny.

1 Like

It would be so interesting to somehow quantify how many Volvos have been sold because of LH.

1 Like

Manā€¦how clueless is Fordā€¦lol

Now weā€™re all gonna lookout for typos from @jeisensc :rofl: j/kā€¦

1 Like

I think Iā€™m going to make plans shortly to move to Texas. Cali is out of control.

Thatā€™s a large part of why I just pulled the ejection handles and got out.

More people leaving CA over a DMV fee also means more available housing :tipping_hand_man:t2::sparkles::house_with_garden:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take your word for it. I donā€™t know how many longhorn and Whataburgers the TX DMV charges for registration.

Edit: Here is the last thing that I will say about this, and iMessage board full of people that will go to extreme lengths to save a dollar. I think the one true drawback in TX, as someone who always signs and drives, is (if they allow it) amoritizing the upfront taxes and paying rent on it. My effective MF is 0.74% and our lease tax is the state min 7.75%. If I leased something in TX at 2-4% rent and rolled in several thousand in taxes, that would hurt.

Could be right, I mean that is what I was charged. It is the overall cost of living in a blue state just crazy high.

Then you should obviously pack up and move there to save $140/yr (+) on your registration.

1 Like

Iā€™d say I want to vacate my home for more available housing. California specially LA, has a big transient problem. Just sarcasm. Why shouldnā€™t high registration fees be on that list.

Obviously what theyā€™re really trying to say is that California has so many more real problems that should make everyone want to leave that high registration fees donā€™t even show up on radar as being a reason to go.