2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid Base. As/of 01/08/2020

I have to laugh every time I hear about HOV lanes, stickers for car pool lanes. California is a beautiful state but hearing the traffic stories I’m glad a 15min backup is a headache in my city.

All the time now. I never used my previous SUV much for hauling, and didn’t use the truck as much as I thought at first, but I bought a house last year and there are very few weekends when I’m not hauling something. I actually kicked around the idea of trading it in and buying one of the new RAMs (mine is a 2013), but I actually work it enough now that I can’t bring myself to use a $60k luxury truck that way.

So, current thinking is to reluctantly drive one of these things for 3 years, finish paying off my student loans, do some house projects, and build the savings back up from that down payment. Then I will be in a position to buy what I really want without feeling irresponsible. It’ll be a sacrifice, but I think I can do it.

1 Like

What a world we live in where leasing a $37k EV as a second car is considered a sacrifice

1 Like

True! First world problems for sure.

I find myself going “well, it doesn’t have a 360 camera, or ventilated seats, etc.” and then I realize how spoiled I am. Not long ago things like heated leather seats, memory, passive entry, backup camera, HIDs, blind spot, etc. were premium options most people didn’t have.

If your job/bank/ whatever doesn’t take part of the bonus drive there’s a little hack. If you donate 10 bucks to the Foster Care to Success you can join Alliant Credit Union. Alliant will match your donation. So you help some kids out and get a 500 dollar check. This bonus drive looks like it good for jeep, fiat, ram as well as Hyundai.

Well, we can add another (almost) signed deal. The dealer I visited the other day called me back and are going to take my offer. It comes out to $172/mo for 10k/36 with everything rolled in and only 1st month due at signing for a Limited. Based on talking to nearly every dealer in the state, I don’t think I’m gonna do much better than that in CT and it’s only going to be harder when we lose $1000 in rebates tomorrow.

All the paperwork is sent in and I’m signing after work (and picking up if I find a ride).

Just go get another R/T haha

Also join AAA. They qualify for bonus drive

Anyone know if it’s just CT that will have a lower rebate after tomorrow or is the NY rebate decreasing too? TIA

Just CT…

New member here, forgive me if I leave anything important out. Just took delivery of my Hyundai Ioniq Base model in Blue Metallic. Looks great next to my Summer Daily:

Thanks to a blog post on a car blog, I called the nearest dealer on Thursday which was 15 miles away from me over the Vermont Border (I’m in New Hampshire). The owner actually leased the only Ioniq they had in stock when the deal came available.

I put feelers out to 5 other dealers, most didn’t know the deal existed, many had deposits already and 1 in Albany called me back the next morning “If you put down a deposit I can lock it in for you” She had no info other than confirming the $999 down $99 a month was real and there were 5 other emails after mine so I gave her $999 charge as a refundable deposit at the time.

A day later, they confirmed that was the all in price. My $999 down included the 1st month and all fees. I’m in New Hampshire so I had to bring a utility bill and license with me to prove it so they wouldn’t be adding on sales tax. I signed today to the tune of 36 payments, 10K miles a year, Hyundai Blue Link and Sirius XM were included, a $400 fee when I return the car and $99 a month.

Took 2 keys, was out the door 40 minutes after arriving.

The fun part was the almost 200 mile drive home where I had to stop at two charging stations. Luckily the Ioniq supports fast charging so these stops were 30 minutes each to bring the car back up to full charge. Drivin through Vermont in an EV is challenging due to all of our mountains but there’s an EV charger every 10 miles but most are just 10KW chargers. Finding one that does 32-40KW is a little bit harder. Cost me $14 in EV Fast Charge to get it home (way cheaper if I didn’t want to get home before dark and do regular charging).

She’s safely home next to our other cars, a 2016 SEL Sportwagen, 2016 Golf R, 2015 Ford Escape (winter beater) and a few motorcycles. This is my first lease in 9 years when I did a $250 a month lease on a Corolla S with 15K miles a year in 2010 which satisfied a super long commute I had at the time.

It was fun reading this thread. I’m certainly happy to have a car which will satisfy my 10 mile commute so I can finally put the Golf R in the barn as my track car and keep the Ford Escape for trash day / longer halls.

Lia Hyundai of Albany has 10 more Ioniqs at port coming to them any day now and 5 are already pre-leased with the same deal. If you’re an NY resident, you’ll have $999 + sales tax but me being an NH resident I got to slide by on that. Insuring this with Geico for me was $360 every 6 months but like all insurance, your mileage may vary.

I did bonus drive as well and they confirmed I qualified so
$999 down
$99 a month x 36 = $3564
-$500 Bonus Drive
-$50 Gift Card
= $112 a month for 36 months.

I have solar panels at home so that’s free as I overproduce and the first year registration is free thanks to a blank check from the dealer made out to my town.

I wanted to update my insurance figure. Geico’s middle of the road coverage came out to $71 a month. State Farm at my coverage of the other cars (250/500, $500 deductible, $0 on comp) was $58 a month for me + GF but keeping in mind we have 4 total cars so the mileage per car according to State Farm is pretty low (5K mile a year average) and we live in middle of nowhere New Hampshire.

I can deal with $58 a month. The ionic will be dropped to Comp only in the summertime when it goes into storage.

Edit, I went to register the car today at my NH Town Office. “no charge” Turns out the dealer’s bank mailed a blank check mailed out to the state of NH and Town. The total cost was around $400 to register it for the year and they paid the registration. I also today got the email from Allstate for the $500 bonus drive check has shipped.

2 Likes

My optimistic friend. Your all in price does not include NH registration which will be $500 at least this year.

Great find NYS incentives wash out any money down. Is that $720 a year for insurance for all of your cars?

I mentioned that at the bottom but given my registration bill every year is around $1400 for all of my vehicles, I really don’t worry about that too much. Not putting 10K miles a year on my 2 cars that each get 25MPG will be worth it in both fuel & maintenance.

That’s the price I was quoted by Geico today but I’ll be shopping around. I had to insure it to get it home but plan on paying much less than $720 a year for insurance.

stop ruining other people’s parades, man :smiley:
Don’t need to be precise to that last digit after decimal on a pi
We aren’t doing rocket science here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All I am saying is that this seems to be the mode/rationale by which these vehicles are being acquired. As a third car to save gas and mileage. And all said and done, it is still 200 a month. Ie 20 cents a mile. Not exactly free.
I am not raining on any parade because there ain’t no parade. Only places this makes sense so far is NYS and DE ie places with additional state rebates. No state rebates makes this average deal.

Everyone has a different situation. I have a 250K mile Ford Escape I got for a thousand bucks from a corporate fleet program but always am unsure if it’s going to start and a Golf R with 15 grand worth of work in it and is basically a track car now so I want to keep that out of daily rotation so to get a car w/ nice technology for under 200 bucks a month that I can charge with the power my solar panels make is pretty cool. I don’t know any EVs that are under 200 all in. Pretty stoked actually. People need to look at their needs and decide for themselves.

2 Likes

CT state rebate was a new thing for them. They applied it in the lease itself, so payment went from 180 to 136, just the first 136 DAS.

Yes…but car buying is not really a rational decision for most.
They look nice together, enjoy!

2 Likes