Numbers not adding up

Tell him to send you a screenshot of his lease calculation screen. All BMW dealers do the same. His “finance” guy can give it to him.

I will thank you!!

hey! i got the vehicle today but was wondering if you could help me out understand some of the values…i believe…it was a decent deal: can i PM you the numbers please?

Why not just post them to the thread?

1 Like

idk why: silly mistake, i am a noob so perhaps didn’t want to be judged too hard lol.
So its a 12 k/36 month lease…i did do 7 MSD; 5500 in incentives (4500 lease and 1K grad)–no OL or loyalty code. the Residual value is 57%. 325/month is what i am paying prior to adding the protection package for the paint and stuff (361. after this). MSRP: 50,030.00. Box 10: point A…not sure if 42,818.88 or 43,983.88 is the value i should use for the selling price? My Due at signing was: 5950–2450 was MSD…and 3500 was all taxes/first month/gov and etc. 0 downpayment. I attached the pic fo the contract and the calculator and how i used it to my abilities: lol

This was a loaner? If so, you didn’t get enough dealer discount. Should’ve been closer to 20% (or at least tried). 12% would have been solid on a new one with 0 miles.

What’s done is done though…enjoy it for the next 3 years.

Thank you so much! Was just not seeing how they got the numbers: the numbers, when i tried to input them into the calculator, were not the same so just trying to understand it better for the future so I’m using the the resources on this beautiful website properly and to its fullest potential is all. Thank you!

hi guys,
how do i apply rebates towards drives and/or just do minimum drive in the lease calculator?

You can select zero drive off if you don’t want drive offs. Otherwise it’ll calculate drive offs for you.

your calculator is close but few things; BMW incentives are taxed. You also put $217 down as the cap cost reduction is $5,721 not $5,500 for the rebates. Since it’s a loaner, true residual is 57.28% based on the mileage penalty. What is the breakdown of the $1,100 in section 13?

On the positive side it seems like they messed up the MSDs as you should owe $400x7=$2,800, not $350x7=$2,450 based on your payment of $361 since they round up to the closest $50 increment, Also, appears they used the base MF which is good.

12% is definitely low as dealers are desperate to get rid of ‘18s this month, especially loaners. With the mileage penalty is really a 10% discount.

Took a little massaging, but pretty much got the same numbers. I just dropped all of the upfront payment into the acquisition fee but subtracted the $217 for cap cost reduction (under down payment) and first months payment which is added automatically by the calculator. More accurate this way since the calculator is usually off on tax since different states tax different aspects of the lease.

Enjoy the car and spend some time on here before your next lease.

1 Like

Fixed your link

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help and the break down! So original lease price was 325…the bump to 361 is because of the protection package (paint, wear and tear and etc) that i added. Thank you so much for your help and will definitely be spending more time here and hopefully learn some new things along the way for the future :slight_smile: I wish they wouldn’t of beaten around the bush when i asked for the numbers up front. but thats on me not them.

Thank you! :slight_smile: appreciate the help!

Got it…Protection plan was probably a waste, especially for $1,000.

Once you know how to calculate the lease on your own, all you need from them is the selling price. All other aspects you can find out/calculate on your own; residual, base MF, incentives, and approx. taxes. Doc and dmv may vary but minor in the scheme of things. Much easier conversation and gets away from their preferred dialog, “What do you want your monthly payment to be?”

1 Like

the residual can be found where =O i tried finding it prior but couldn’t…definitely a learning experience and will hopefully not be repeating the same mistake again. Thank you so much for your input again! Really appreciate it :slight_smile:

also any reason you believe the wear and tear package for 1K to be a waste? do some highway driving and thats why i figured it might be useful?

Thanks. So just click 0 drives and input rebates and it will apply it towards drives automatically?

Edmunds forum has residuals

It’ll take it off your monthly. Drive offs are just your dues for tax, DMV, dealer fees, first month

1 Like

Thank you!