Noobie, need help with leasing

, ,

Hey everyone,

My fiance currently has a mazda cx-5 and her lease is expiring in February. She has a 2016 cx-5 10k miles /yr for $320 a month and paid nothing at signing. It is a 3 year lease. She only has about 18k miles on it currently and her commute will NOT be changing, so 10k miles per year would be sufficient for her.

She doesn’t want to pay anything at signing but would be okay paying up to $400 per month for a nicer compact suv such as a tiguan or if we could get a qx50 or other compact luxury suv for sub 400.

We went to test drive at mazda and vw today and we really liked the tiguan but they were giving us terrible deals on the 2019 se model. $420 a month with nothing due at signing but that seems very high compared to other deals I’ve seen people have gotten.

She liked the Mazda as well but they quoted her about the same price for a 2018 touring model that her current lease is at $313 per month. Not terrible but not fantastic, just wondering what we can do to get some better lease offers?

When I bought my car I just emailed a bunch of dealers within a 4-5 hour drive and asked what their best offer was and provided them with my budget I was willing to pay per month and what features I wanted and I was able to get some good offers. Does it work the same way with leasing?
Thanks!

She’s at 18k miles out of 30k allowed? You may want to explore getting even fewer miles per year, or not even leasing at all. You’re simply paying for thousands of unused miles. Perhaps think about purchasing a CPO. IMO, leasing really only makes sense for those in the 10-15k miles per year range.

You may even have positive equity in this car since it is over 10k miles under the allowance.

You’re correct for wanting to pay $0 at signing.

Seems you’re in the OH/KY area. Not familiar with it, but I’ve seen some good lease deals out of PA recently.

A quick search on Honcker shows Tiguans for cheaper, but idk if Honcker is available near you. Search the forum for past deals on Tiguans like here.

2 Likes

Look for an X2 loaner

Yep, she is way under her mileage allowance. Unfortunately, she isn’t looking to purchase and is set on leasing. So we may need to look at lowering the mileage to about 7500 instead.

I checked Honcker and it doesn’t seem available in my area sadly. I’ll see if I can find some deals in the PA area and have a local dealer match. Appreciate the help!

If she’s really dead set on leasing, and predicts to have the same driving patterns, 7500 is absolutely the way to go. Why pay for over 10k miles she won’t use? I just helped 2 friends purchase CPO vehicles this week. Both were either 1 or 2 yrs old, and thousands cheaper than new. The way I see it, if you want a new car every few years and drive so few miles, keep it for 5 years or so, then sell it. Comes out a lot cheaper than leasing.

And see if you have any positive equity in the current CX-5. Check out www.carvana.com or www.vroom.com to see if they offer you more than the lease end buyout amount listed directly on the lease contract. If it is, you can recoup some of the money you overpaid for it.

2 Likes

Agreed, I’ve pushed for her to get a CPO or buy as I bought my car and was able to get a great deal all things considered and plan to do exactly what you said, keep low mileage and sell after 5 years.

As far as reaching out to dealers should we just email them providing detail about what she wants such as 2019 tiguan se 4 motion white and ask for a quote?

Is there any region that may be better than others? I remember when I did this everyone suggested Koon’s in baltimore/DC area because it was notorious for good deals on ford and to see if you could get a local dealer to match their prices.

Your best bet would be reaching out to as wide an area of dealers asking for their new lease quotes and then have them beat each other till you get the lowest offer.

2 Likes

appreciate the help! Exactly what I was looking for.