No Wonder Why the Genesis Leases Aren't As Good As They Used to Be

I see Vhooloo has a strong preference towards European cars. Maybe he can comment on their longevity and value vs Toyota/Honda/Subaru. :wink:

Are ā€œTrusted Hackrsā€ part of moderating team? If so, Iā€™m not sure this sets a great example downstream.

1 Like

Itā€™s tongue in cheek :slight_smile: heā€™s got a silly sense of humor that you have to grow into :wink:

Well, I thought this was a safe space. :two_women_holding_hands::two_men_holding_hands:

1 Like

Thatā€™s my belief in fading residuals. Sedans are dying. Everyone wants SUV/CUV/VAN/TRUCK.

OP here, out of curiosity just checked to see if my old Genesis was sold. It is still listed but price has already dropped to $25k and still no takers. Crazy how badly Hyundai had forecast the RVā€¦

The whole Kia/Hyundai family seems to be terrible at predicting residuals. I leased my 2017 Cadenza Tech. for 36/12k one year ago at ~53-56% residual, currently the same 2018 is sitting at 44% residual. I wonder how bad theyā€™ll mess up on the new G70 residual prediction.

I said curry-breath snake charmers, get your ethnic insults rightā€¦
I ainā€™t buying cars that have curry or dumpling or kimchi smell ā€¦

What if the car smells of burgers, vomit and vodka from a weekend bender? You know, the kind that those in Detroit partake in?

Farts are ok though?

I took a leased 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 base model to carmax for the shits and giggles, had 30,000 miles, in service for about 23 months. They offered $21k. Iā€™m considering turning mine in when the lease comes due and getting a CPO.

Also, Genesis sales are very poor since theyā€™ve made it more expensive to lease. https://www.genesisnewsusa.com/en-us/releases/93 Sales down by a quarter from last year.

its a solid carā€¦I have a 2015 3.8 HTRAC and still get a lot of asks. My 36/15K is up in Sept & so far my discussions with dealers are not convincing me that Iā€™ll be moving into a '18 G80. Too bad.

Just turned in my Kia K900 today after 36 month lease. Residual was $31,500. Manager of the dealership told me when he was grounding the car that the computer says I can buy it out for $25kā€¦ honestly, I donā€™t think they will get that from anyone eitherā€¦

1 Like

I have a similar story when I leased my 2012 MBZ E350 Sport. My monthlies were $299 a month (zero down and zero customer cash but with MSDs less SOCAL tax) MSRP was $54K and RV was $42K after 24 months. When I turned it in, same model was selling at $32K or less (MBZ learned from their mistakes and upped the leases numbers). I moved into a 2014 E350 sport and because of the mistake MBZ made on leasing earlier cars cheap (and losing money on returns) my monthly increased a bit over $100. The MSRP was $58K and residual was still $42K but at the end of 24 months the 2014 could be sold at $36K. Because my benz was in outstanding condition when I turned in, I noticed the dealership purchased and tried to sell at $44K. Not sure if they sold at that price. Iā€™m currently leasing a Lexus E350 F Sport and the residual was $32K and same year are selling under $30 K (no equity here). Even though I got over $11K over sticker (MSRP $54K) and had to up the mileage to 15K a year, Looks like Lexus was a bit smarter (because Iā€™m paying a lot more). My lease ends this AUG and I contacted Lexus dealership on replacement and I was quoted over $100 more a month. Looks like Iā€™m going to pull trigger on a Buick, Volvo, Toyota or Alpha (24 months - hate anything more) learned from forum that high lease prices are no good.

Did you like the car though? Been thinking about a used one.

The manager told you the lower price than contracted residual right off the bat with no negotiation? I thought only BMW was ā€œnegotiableā€ if you were gonna purchase your lease. Very interesting, will have to see how this plays out when I return the Hyundai next year.

Yep - he brought my account up on the computer and told me a numberā€¦

1 Like