No Wonder Why the Genesis Leases Aren't As Good As They Used to Be

Wow, that’s a bit rough. More competition the better, besides, they are pretty sweet cars.

My Hyundai Genesis had way more toys and gizmos yet been far more reliable than my BMW 428, which I traded it in for the Genesis at the time. It definitely was not “cheap Asian junk” and I am excited to try out the new G70.

You can safely ignore Vhooloo most of the time, particularly when it comes to anything Asian. Isn’t he the one who called Jaguar ownership a bunch of ‘turban wearing curry munchers’?

2 Likes

I see Vhooloo has a strong preference towards European cars. Maybe he can comment on their longevity and value vs Toyota/Honda/Subaru. :wink:

Are “Trusted Hackrs” part of moderating team? If so, I’m not sure this sets a great example downstream.

1 Like

It’s tongue in cheek :slight_smile: he’s got a silly sense of humor that you have to grow into :wink:

Well, I thought this was a safe space. :two_women_holding_hands::two_men_holding_hands:

1 Like

That’s my belief in fading residuals. Sedans are dying. Everyone wants SUV/CUV/VAN/TRUCK.

OP here, out of curiosity just checked to see if my old Genesis was sold. It is still listed but price has already dropped to $25k and still no takers. Crazy how badly Hyundai had forecast the RV…

The whole Kia/Hyundai family seems to be terrible at predicting residuals. I leased my 2017 Cadenza Tech. for 36/12k one year ago at ~53-56% residual, currently the same 2018 is sitting at 44% residual. I wonder how bad they’ll mess up on the new G70 residual prediction.

I said curry-breath snake charmers, get your ethnic insults right…
I ain’t buying cars that have curry or dumpling or kimchi smell …

What if the car smells of burgers, vomit and vodka from a weekend bender? You know, the kind that those in Detroit partake in?

Farts are ok though?

I took a leased 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 base model to carmax for the shits and giggles, had 30,000 miles, in service for about 23 months. They offered $21k. I’m considering turning mine in when the lease comes due and getting a CPO.

Also, Genesis sales are very poor since they’ve made it more expensive to lease. https://www.genesisnewsusa.com/en-us/releases/93 Sales down by a quarter from last year.

its a solid car…I have a 2015 3.8 HTRAC and still get a lot of asks. My 36/15K is up in Sept & so far my discussions with dealers are not convincing me that I’ll be moving into a '18 G80. Too bad.

Just turned in my Kia K900 today after 36 month lease. Residual was $31,500. Manager of the dealership told me when he was grounding the car that the computer says I can buy it out for $25k… honestly, I don’t think they will get that from anyone either…

1 Like

I have a similar story when I leased my 2012 MBZ E350 Sport. My monthlies were $299 a month (zero down and zero customer cash but with MSDs less SOCAL tax) MSRP was $54K and RV was $42K after 24 months. When I turned it in, same model was selling at $32K or less (MBZ learned from their mistakes and upped the leases numbers). I moved into a 2014 E350 sport and because of the mistake MBZ made on leasing earlier cars cheap (and losing money on returns) my monthly increased a bit over $100. The MSRP was $58K and residual was still $42K but at the end of 24 months the 2014 could be sold at $36K. Because my benz was in outstanding condition when I turned in, I noticed the dealership purchased and tried to sell at $44K. Not sure if they sold at that price. I’m currently leasing a Lexus E350 F Sport and the residual was $32K and same year are selling under $30 K (no equity here). Even though I got over $11K over sticker (MSRP $54K) and had to up the mileage to 15K a year, Looks like Lexus was a bit smarter (because I’m paying a lot more). My lease ends this AUG and I contacted Lexus dealership on replacement and I was quoted over $100 more a month. Looks like I’m going to pull trigger on a Buick, Volvo, Toyota or Alpha (24 months - hate anything more) learned from forum that high lease prices are no good.

Did you like the car though? Been thinking about a used one.

The manager told you the lower price than contracted residual right off the bat with no negotiation? I thought only BMW was “negotiable” if you were gonna purchase your lease. Very interesting, will have to see how this plays out when I return the Hyundai next year.

Yep - he brought my account up on the computer and told me a number…

1 Like