No 3rd Party for BMW lease buyout?

, ,

Just getting caught up on the car madness that is the great chip shortage of 2020-21. It looks like BMWFS is only allowing personal buyouts or sales to a BMW authorized dealer. Potentially looking at a trade or swap because my commute is about to increase and this thing isn’t amazing with gas.

I saw some people grumbling about my car auction.com being a workaround but it appears as though they don’t offer any services in TX.

Are there any other options, and does this really heavily impact the buyout offer as much as I think it probably does? Is transferring the lease with cash on top still the best option? Does this limit my trade-in ability at normal comparable brands like cross-shopping Lexus or MB?

I don’t feel like I need to sell the X3, but it might make sense if I could somehow get into a less expensive lease…

Currently a 2020 X3M Comp with 5,500 miles. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Correct. You can only sell it/trade it in to a bmw dealer or someone that can facilitate the trade in through a bmw dealer.

1 Like

I’m assuming that with some of the larger auto groups though, if they have a BMW dealership under their belt they could potentially facilitate the deal?

Yes that works sometimes, the real key is how they identify themselves to BMW

Ex : (If you were getting a honda from Autonation which might have a BMW and Honda nearby)

Hi this is Autonation Texas, can I get buyout
vs
Hi this is Autonation HONDA Texas, can I get a buyout.

I’d be interested in your X3M lease, assuming it was the one posted in private transfers last year?

Hi @massacremike - what did you end up doing…? I am in somewhat of a similar situation…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.