NJ sales tax on EV lease buy out

Hello
I am planning to buy my leased hyundai ioniq ev, when I look at the hyundai website lease end quote it shows sales tax included in the purchase price.

I called the dealer and I was told that Sales tax exemption is only for new cars however when I look at the NJ taxation web site, it clearly indicates all new and used cars are exempt

NJ Division of Taxation - Sales Tax Exemption - Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) (state.nj.us)

I dont think I should be paying the sales tax but I dont know how to proceed.

did anyone purchase a lease end ev and paid sales tax in NJ?

Thank you

Why are You calling the dealer? You can buy this car directly from HYUNDAI Finance. Call HF and let us know what they say.

there is no sales tax on new or used EVs in NJ…that part is correct

@zenek is right, call HF

1 Like

be prepared to wait forever for HMF to release title. they’re notorious for sucking.

1 Like

I’ve already gone through this. You need to complete NJ Sales Tax Form ST-4 (Exempt Use Certificate) and send it to them.

I included all account info, VIN, etc… so there was no confusion.

Within a week, there was an updated quote to purchase online that no longer included NJ sales tax.

4 Likes

I called them and they told me, they dont know the local sales tax laws and i should call the dealer

I am in the process of doing the same but Hyundai is charging taxes and says to take it with DMV. Could you explain step by step how to fight this?

As per @Dewey_Lima post above

I’ve already gone through this. You need to complete NJ Sales Tax Form ST-4 (Exempt Use Certificate) and send it to them.

I included all account info, VIN, etc… so there was no confusion.

Within a week, there was an updated quote to purchase online that no longer included NJ sales tax.