NJ purchase with MA reg

Has anyone dealt with the opposite of this, getting a car from MA and registering it in NJ? Wondering the timeline to expect on when the dealer will receive the registration to deliver the car.

@aronchi as you mentioned if Ny/NJ aren’t doing mail in, this may be a bigger issue I’m assuming.

2+ Weeks at this time is a good estimate based on my dealers

It’s a pretty big issue I guess my friend just had the same issue and a CT dealer ended up giving me the same price as a MA dealer just to avoid this headache.

If folks can wait, it’s not a problem.

Most are OK with it right now since no one is really going anywhere.

As long as proper expectations are set - then it won’t be an issue.

You just need to know that going into it.

2 Likes

Thank for the heads up.

Given the circumstances I figured it’d be some time. It doesn’t help that the dealer dragged their feet sending the paperwork. I guess one can only hope for the best and it gets done quicker. Sucks paying for something without having it, but that’s part of it.

1 Like

Makes it that much sweeter on arrival :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brining this up again since I may be in a pickle here… Wondering if anyone has any updates based on their experiences in the past 2 weeks. @aronchi I know you mentioned NY/NJ aren’t doing mail in reg still?

originally the dealer (MA dealer) told me a week and a half give or take. It seems now they still haven’t sent anything in and now say they’re telling June 8 for NJ DMV to open. Do I have any options here or did I pay for ab expensive paperweight sitting at the dealer until god knows when? I would’ve held off if I knew it’d be such a headache, but they never told me it would be an issue when I asked. It doesn’t help I can’t get ahold of anyone either at the dealership at all. It’s been 2 weeks now.

Some days I just wanna hurl a chair outta window

1 Like

@max_g Touché, thanks for digging that up.

We came to a resolution and worked it out. After several dealers this was still the best option, unfortunately. Besides them being terrible at responding it wasn’t that bad, so I thought. I thought I’d be able to get everything signed and have it finalized once we knew. The dealer told me a week and a half, but that now doesn’t seem to be the case.

Them not sending anything in is the issue if they didn’t set that expectation.

The dealers I work with, and I, have been very clear with clients that once they sign it can take 2+ weeks before it’s ready for pickup. On an 18% off new X5 deal, well worth the wait :slight_smile:

Once the paperwork is signed, their tag service should have done a mail in reg w NJ. Then, once received back, it’ll be ready for you.

The issues you describe above all sound more like improper expectation setting.

Thank you @Bostoncarconcierge I saw you mentioned you were securing deals and finalizing once everything was set, if Only I could’ve had that. Appreciate the insight on the process.

Yes, it seems that they continue to bounce back and forth between F&I guys and they don’t answer, so quite frustrating. Their tag service has yet to send anything. they got the signed papers last week, so they’re dragging their feet it seems.

Not 18% off an X5, but close! Just kind of need a car soon now and this has been dragging, thanks COVID

1 Like

remember if you’re getting the loyalty credit, your paperwork must be dated i believe 6/1 or 5/31? if anything, make sure it’s backdated.

1 Like

No. Not worth the indefinite wait, not worth the headache, not worth making payments on a car that sits on a dealer’s lot.

I’d advise anyone in NJ and NY to steer clear of MA dealers for now.

Get 60-day temp tags locally from a nearby dealer. You can take possession immediately and drive on those basically indefinitely during corona if there’s an issue waiting for plates to arrive.

For some folks it is. That’s why they’re shopping outside of NY/NJ in the first place, which is arguably the most competitive market for many brands.

If I’m saving 6% of $80K and don’t need the car immediately…

We don’t need to agree.

But each situation is different. If folks can tolerate the wait and variables then great.

1 Like

I wish I could’ve found the deal in NJ/NY, but it wasn’t the case. At 17% before incentives the tri state dealers couldn’t come close. Didn’t know at the time also that COVID things would push back further. 2 week, no problem, but a month or so I understand it’s not worth it.

I agree with boston. I have actually got a car from PA and even with the couple of months paying for it to it on PA dealer lot, I still come out ahead.

1 Like

What happened there, mind if I ask?

Interesting did some research on this; here seems to be the final word
If you are an out-of-state resident and temporary plates are allowed in your state, simply driving through the state of MA with that temporary plate is okay. However, if you have a MA driver’s license and have a temporary plate, then that is not legal. It would be equivalent to you driving without any plate at all. Your vehicle could be impounded as a result.”

source:
http://gormanins.com/safety-tips/buying-a-car/temporary-plates-car-purchases-ma-residents/

basically OP being a MA resident and having an MA license means he is s.o.l

1 Like

Thats correct. A much better worded version of what I meant.

Specifically for MA residents, no temp tags in and out.

Mass residents trading in don’t need temp tag. They can use a plate on a current vehicle for 7 days.

• You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
  • You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle
  • The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle