Nissan EVs not eligible for buyout?

Maybe this has been in the forum but I was surprised as I was about to lease to purchase one for my father. Maybe others don’t know either.

All new Nissan EVs aren’t eligible for lease end purchase… hmmmm.

Found this surprising and maybe some would find useful.

Nissan has quietly eliminated the buyout option on EV leases. According to a bulletin sent to dealers, Nissan’s EV lease purchase option was discontinued on December 12th. In addition to taking away the ability to purchase the Nissan LEAF at the end of a new lease, this also affects the all-new Ariya electric SUV.

The policy change may come as a surprise for EV shoppers looking to lease the long-awaited 2023 Nissan Ariya. However, it does resemble similar moves we’ve seen from other electric vehicle makers. For example, Tesla eliminated the lease-end purchase option in April and Ford followed suit soon thereafter in June.

Nissan spokesperson Dan Passe confirmed the change for CarsDirect this afternoon via email with the following statement:

“Nissan’s commitment to building sustainable and affordable Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) by creating technology to refabricate, recycle, resell and reuse the EV batteries spans more than a decade. The adjustment to our lease agreement marks the latest move toward our commitment to becoming carbon neutral by 2050 by creating second-life opportunities through our controlled disposal and harvesting process.”

Some discussion in this thread

Thanks for finding it! I searched but apparently not hard enough lol

1 Like

Nissan makes such big brain moves but doesn’t realize nobody is dying for a Nissan

2 Likes

Come on now. Ghosn did get out of Japan in a suitcase.

7 Likes

So that is a good way of killing off EVs most people are not going to be looking at anyway. Yikes.

No one wants to buy out their leaf or Ariya. At least with Tesla, some people actually want to keep their cars

1 Like

The reality is that with nissan’s lease strategy of horribly inflated residual values and insane money factors, even their gas vehicles effectively arent eligible for buyout.

3 Likes

Exactly this. The leaf I leased was $200 a month effective. I don’t remember the Rv MF and fees
But let’s say all of it is depreciation. After 18 months, I pay $3600 on a $33k car.
No way would I say $29,400 for a used leaf

NMAC is gonna be begging people to buy out their leased Ariyas in 2026.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.