Nissan.com is not owned by Nissan Motor Corp. They sued

This is the case history between Nissan Motor Company and the computer company that owned Nissan.com, interesting. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

https://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php

1 Like

Very old story, really not worth discussing here IMO. If you own a domain, its your property and you have the option to sell it or keep it and the person who owns Nissan.com didn’t agree to the amount Nissan was offering.

1 Like

From what I remember it was a Pyrrhic victory

Yes - he spent an absolute fortune defending himself and only recovered a fraction of the attorney fees he incurred. I can appreciate riding it out on the principle of the thing, though, especially in this case.

1 Like

Yes it is old (1990s) but I think it’s relevant and how people vote with their money in what they buy is important. (I also just learned about it and think very poorly of the car makers actions during that time towards this small business).

Is that a GeoCities page lol

1 Like

Similar to a patent troll.

1 Like

I actually met the 3rd person to be hired in that company (GeoCities). Told him I had to look it up, before my time.

1 Like

It is his last name though and part of a business he started. So I don’t think the intention was to be a troll but could be…

1 Like

One could argue also it referring to the Hebrew month: Nisan, or Nissan. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe he is opportunistic but that’s how it works…the early bird gets the worm…or at least that’s how it used to be. This is no different than a homeowner being in the way of a developer and being the last one to sell out. You want it? Pay the man and move on…not try to steal it in the name of greater good or whatever other crap you come up with.

WTF are you talking about??

2 Likes

I dunno, I’d be pretty sad if my life was defined by a petty fight over a domain name.

4 Likes

I’ve been following this since the 90s.

If I remember correctly, the guy’s last name is/was Nissan and the domain was registered for Nissan Computer. The automaker was late to the party and took the to court several times.

I believe the guy had a legitimate reason to use the domain and was able to prove everything, but Nissan has never stopped badgering them about it.

1 Like

Even if he didn’t had a legit reason, he has first…the end! Property rights, people!

2 Likes

If Nissan motors wants Nissan computers domain name, they should pay up.

Nissan motor doesn’t have the right to it just because they are the larger company.

1 Like

FFS, welcome to 1994.

Just an update to a old thread

Nissan.com STOLEN from Uzi Nissan