VW ID.4 - Ordering & Discussion Thread (MY23 Reservations OPEN)

VW officially revealed ID.4 today, which is I’ve been looking forward to. It doesn’t have crazy acceleration or fart mode, but it’s a reasonably-priced, conventional, well-sized, long-range EV targeted at mass-market vehicles like RAV4 and CR-V.

Their website has a payment estimator that tells you the monthly, amount due at signing, incentive, and net cap cost for different trim levels, but not the residual or money factor.

So I went ahead and tried to reverse calculate it. Took a bit of trial and error. For those who are interested, RV is likely 46% and MF is likely .00089:

They pass the entire federal tax credit on as an incentive, so leasing is a compelling option for those who don’t have a $7,500 federal tax liability but want to otherwise take advantage of the tax credit.

Residual seems realistic, so probably a decent candidate to buy-then-lease.

9 Likes

Three free years of fast charging could make it more compelling for some people too.

4 Likes

46% is pretty high for a vehicle with $7500 federal and many state incentives.

Not compared to the Bolt, yeah it doesn’t get the Fed credit but GM is throwing all sorts of money at it(53% vs 46%)

I was looking at this car for my wife. Seems we be eligible for 7500 in fed, 2000 from nys. Hoping loyalty could get us more along w first responder if they include it. Worth even haggling w dealer on dealer discount since it’s a brand new model?

I’m getting the impression that, at least initially, VW is controlling pricing. Which means only MSRP.

Figured. Hopefully first responder or loyalty will add alil more discount. Spec the one she wants and it comes to 48k. I’ll wait to see residual and mf to debate buying vs leasing

That’s like 30 years of single-pay Bolts :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Apparently enough people wanted to put down a $100 deposit that it crashed the website. But who knows?

I think the ID.4 looks like a great city car. I wish the interior were a bit more rich-looking.

Hopefully VW knows how to engineer cars better than they do websites!

Would it shock anyone if the website “crashed” to try and manufacture some hype/take some attention away from Tesla?

2 Likes

If you live/work somewhere convenient to one of these chargers that’s a big deal. Back in the before times I would frequently get lunch at a shopping center with an Electrify America location. Two 45 minute charging sessions at a 50kw+ charger would be enough juice for the whole week. In somewhere like VA without good time of use electric rates that could save me 50 bucks a month.

1 Like

Lease cost: $3,579+445*36 = $19,599

Am I missing something? I must be too used to getting deals. This seems absurdly expensive.
Is this comparable to other $40k cars?

I know the bolt has screaming deals right now and can be had at $4,800 with 36/10.
Even though everyone agrees that the $40k Bolt MSRP is laughable, and it’s a smaller car than the ID.4, how can someone justify the 4x difference on lease cost?

They don’t need to justify anything. It’s better looking and fresh model…no one expects deals on this for at least a year. There will be plenty that don’t care much about getting a cheap lease so VW has nothing to worry about. Just look how Hyundai and Kia are dealing the Kona and Niro…no deals but still move them.

Do the niro or any other car like it come with a dealer discount nowadays?? 7500 in fed rebate along w 2000 from nys gives me 9500. Was hoping for first responder or loyalty to give additional and perhaps small dealer discount. May not get anything besides fed and state

You need to research incentives for the model and trim you are interested in. You don’t get the federal incentive on a lease. Usually a portion of it is passed onto the customer as lease cash. Sometimes it’s less, sometimes it’s more than the federal incentive.

Vw is making it seem you will get full. Anyways I’ll prob end up buying that car. W a 46 percent residual and 2.13 interest rate after converting mf, I think taking 9500 in rebates I’d end up better buying it

Hyundai and Kia are battery-constrained. They can’t get enough batteries to build more vehicles. Thus, there is a limited supply of the Kona and the Niro EV. AFAIK, Hyundai and Kia are limiting sales to the ZEV states. Limited supplies = price not elastic, hence, no deals.

Don’t worry, VW primary market for these evs is EU so even if they manage to not to be battery constrained here we will still have limited supply.

Actually VW rolling in the 7500k tax credit and 1500k Clean air credit into the lease.