New to the US: Leasing a car without credit history or better buy a used one?

For the panel gaps? The thin paint? Or my personal favorite: the bumper pooch that collects the dirt?

If someone accepts a car in poor spec thatā€™s on them. Inspect the car and only accept delivery if it meets your standards.

Function over form takes precedence here.

I do not find VWs boring in general. Thatā€™s why I looked at the Atlas and Cross Sport which strikes me as quite exciting. Only the Golf is rather boring to me (and most other Germans) since it is the best sold vehicle in Germany year after year for the last 3 decades. Nonetheless it is still a rock solid car. The Touareg for example is a car I also like but it seems to be pretty rare in the US.

As I said, I really like the 4Runner, but there is only one available in Rochester, MN from 2018 and it sells for 39k. That seems to be a terrible deal.

Iā€™m stupid, the amarok is what Iā€™m thinking ofā€¦

1 Like

Panel gaps I agree. Iā€™ve personally never had to bring a paint densitometer when I bought or leased a car for any other brand. The soggy bumpers and dirt pooch bumpers arenā€™t going to be obvious without some miles.

I know you said Model Y but itā€™s the same platform and still early. And the first two Iā€™ve seen in person: obvious panel gaps.

I just thought ā€œwhen in Romeā€¦ā€ but after giving it some thought it does not seem to be that attractive anymore.

1 Like

Sure. Just saying if BEV is a priority and youā€™re in the far north: You really canā€™t do better than the Y as far as function goes.

Newest S/X are good contenders but will see significantly increased power use when heating is needed. Something the Y has improved on due to the heat pump (This is why I canā€™t yet recommend the 3 until it too sees that change)

The Touareg is an SUV that was codeveloped with the Cayenne, IIRC launched by VW in 2004. Not a truck/chicken tax issue, just declining in popularity.

There is everything from life-like

To ironic

Hahaha itā€™s 1 am, I confused the amorak for the Touareg. But SUVs do retain their value better in most situations.

1 Like

Would look :heart_eyes_cat: with some truck :peanuts:.

Daddy is going to need some alone time since you brought that sexy beast up

I suspect OP will get the most bang for his bucks buying a base Y.

Ah, I see. America is the land of big SUVs, so youā€™re in the right place. The problem with a $40K Atlas is that itā€™s kinda light on features. You may also want to consider a Palisade or Tiguan

Welcome to the USA. Let me introduce you to the Tacoma. The truck that you can buy/lease/finance and sell after 24 months with positive equity.

1 Like

One of my first thoughts, but (not saying itā€™s impossible or people havenā€™t been successful) but US Bankā€™s reputation is being an extra extra PITA on Visas if they will do them at all. TFS I wouldnā€™t be concerned about.