New Member. Could use advice on Tacoma lease

I am reaching out to about 8 dealers in my area (MN) focusing on a Toyota Tacoma lease. Stock is limited so I can’t get the cheapest base model…most are telling me so far that they only have SR5 and up, a few have double cab and access cabs available. One came back and only offered Limited inventory. I’d be happiest with an SR access cab 4x4 because I don’t need much more, but the double cab seems to have the best residuals so I am open to that. It may be the models just pushing me way out of my range or something else obvious I am missing. I used to sell cars so I understand the numbers fairly well, but I am not familiar with Toyota’s inner-workings, discount % from MSRP averages etc…

Trying to get as close to $200 as possible on a 12/24 or 12/36 term setup. When I run it through the calculator that seems possible with minimal down given the residuals and MF with non-captive lenders but I am getting a lot of resistance in providing hard numbers from almost every dealer so far. Below is a response after my second time asking for the deal I want including all the numbers from the calculator that I think are reasonable.

> "Residuals will vary by model, the residual closest to what you’re looking for is the Double Cab SR5 at 79% for 12k over 24 months. Due to supply and demand inventory is extremely limited. Including the rebate, this truck is priced at $34,996 which equates to about a 7% discount.
**> **
> Again, for 24 months with $1,000 total due = $349 per month.
**> **
> Please let me know how you would like to proceed."

Most are taking a similar line and just sticking to quoting me very rough numbers and suggesting I come in to test drive or call them.

Any advice on how to proceed here? Maybe my numbers are way out of line and need correction? I keep seeing really good Tacoma lease deals popping up here and elsewhere that make these numbers work but I could be missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Austin

Best deal I’ve come up with so far…stock is super low. Should I jump on this or negotiate any more? Seems like a pretty good deal. Only thing is the upfront. Could I ask for an additional 800 off and get it to walk away with just 1st payment down and same payment?

I don’t think your in a position to ask for anything, can’t hurt to try, but like you say, there’s no inventory. Take it or wait, and yes the SR double cab 4x4 has the best lease

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback. I feel the same way at this point and I don’t think any other dealer I show this to is going to do better. also he pretty much works through this deal with me on the first try rather than having to work him down from 300 plus a month and I really appreciate that so I’d like to work with them.

I went and looked at my dealer cause I have a lease that up in November and they only had 4 Tacoma’s. Of course they tried the bait and switch on me so I walked. I am in no hurry, I can wait till November. But if you want it now then your kinda stuck with what they give you. Like it’s been said you can try to negotiate more but it depends on how bad the dealer wants to make a sale.

You may want to wait until around September.

I can do the sr for around 225/mo. But you’ll have to pick up or ship from philly

How did they bait and switch you?

Typical dealer strategy, I imagine.
Only 4 in stock and they try to get you into one. Haha.

What’s happening in September? More inventory after plants opening back up or just the shift to 21’s?

Unfortunately for me my previous vehicle imploded so I need something fairly soon.

Truck plants have already opened up for full operation with about 3/4 staffs coming back.
Now, Toyota said the inventory is going to be replenished to the full capacity around mid August and 2021 should not be coming out until November because they pushed their production.

If you can, contact @Jrouleau426 is the best in Toyota industry. His price is unmatched with what I had seen with other dealers in various states.

4 Likes

Is that true sign and drive pricing?

Even still it probably wouldn’t make sense with $800-100 in shipping for me here in MN, but it helps me gauge the price at least and if I am even close to what you can get that makes me fairly comfortable with the price they’re currently offering.

725 upfront, 0 at signing. 23 months 225. Tax tags dealer/broker fees inc

2 Likes

Thanks again for your input, based on the calculator that adds up to be about the same as the deal I am signing I think.

That makes me feel good about it. I am sure it could be even better, but I am happy with where I’ll end up.

I got a call from the VIP department and they told me that they were willing to pay off the remainder of the lease at no upside down. Of course I knew that was a load of crap. I had nothing to do on that day so I told the wife let’s go and see. When I get there they of course are adding the remainder of the lease to the new lease. The sales guy straight out told me that they aren’t doing that, which I figured, and I told him that it’s deceptive of them to tell that to a customer just to get them to come. Like I said, I knew it wasn’t going to happen but I figured what the hell let me go and see what changed in the newer Tacoma’s and tundras. Wife also wanted to look at the RAV4 and Camry.

Hey-I’m also from MN looking for a Tacoma around early 2021. Which dealership did you work with to get this deal? Thanks

Nick,

I used Inver Grove, they were easy to work with and gave me this deal on the first go after explaining what I had learned from working with other dealerships. Any volume dealer can give you the best deal at any given time though, just depends on their situation, inventory, incentives etc…

That being said, YMMV. Definitely work with a manager because I had multiple sales people at various dealerships tell me it would be over double this price. They don’t know anything usually. I know because I used to be one.

If you show you know what you’re talking about you’ll get a better deal, faster. Learn residuals, money factors etc and you’ll get the best deal. That could vary drastically from this deal at a given time however.

I shopped the deal to every dealer in the state and I recommend you do the same.