New cars now just for the rich as automakers rake in profits

Seems current inventory trends are mostly here to stay.

Another sensational article ignoring the reality on the ground.

1 Like

Correct. Only rich can buy new cars. The poors can only lease Pre Owned Porsche Macans.

13 Likes

I don’t see a champagne chiller on the 2023 Rav4s :rage:

1 Like

Haha!

I would like to point out that I only found the article worth sharing for the comments by auto execs on their purported supply strategies going forward.

1 Like

They all will change their tunes when the new car sales tumble & they loose market share.

2 Likes

Sometimes the quotes in these articles make me scratch my head. Like the screen shot below where the guy wants a 2016 Accord for at most $16k but can’t find one for less than $19k.

If you are just looking for reliable transportation, once you get to the $16k range, I don’t think it ever makes sense to get a 7 year old car versus a new Elantra or Jetta. You shouldn’t have that much trouble getting a lower trim of either vehicle for $22k. Assuming everything else is equal the price delta is only $120 a month on a sixty month loan. And likely it’s closer to $100 a month considering lower rates for new cars.

Now $100 a month isn’t nothing. Except if you can’t afford another $100 a month you also can’t afford the $16k Accord. Because the chances of you needing to spend $3,600 on repairs over the first three years of ownership on a 7 or 8 year old car are not that low whereas a new car will have a warranty that keeps repair bills negligible for the first four or five years for a Jetta or Elantra respectively. And if you do get hit with a big repair bill, that is gonna get financed at 20% on a credit card versus a 5% or 6% new car loan.

1 Like

Underrated comment over here.

1 Like

do we have a Mr. Peanut or Monopoly Man meme format? would fit perfectly.

1 Like

Additionally, the transmission may have been costlier than the car is worth but cheaper than a new car that he can’t find. So knowing that just get the old car fixed.

1 Like