New 2023 Volvo XC90 and alternative choices

, , , ,

well a pallisade or a telluride you’re buying so that’s a bit of a different scenario. i’d easily go for either one of those over an outdated volvo xc90.

1 Like

I would consider the Palisade, depends on what deals are available. Why would that be buying instead of leasing?

From personal experience, a Telluride is not expensive at all from a TCO (total cost of ownership) perspective: Purchase price (no higher than MSRP) + TTL - resale value = extremely attractive cost of ownership.

And this was holding true even BCE (before chip-shortage era).

The thing that separates Telluride and Highlander from Pathfinder and most competitors in that segment is resale value.

That makes a lot of sense, but TCO isnt always the best bet when you’re trying to be at a certain monthly payment I suppose?

Either way - with a Telluride, what do you think the sweet spot is on timeframe to re-sell and change vehicles?

I just called about 6 dealers and most had no Palisades in stock, and it would take 3 months to get one, all incoming ones had deposits on them already. Anyone know of a good Palisade dealer in tri-state area or New England that has decent inventory?

Inventory is 99.99% guaranteed to have a markup.

I bought my Telluride at MSRP plus $399 doc via putting a deposit on an incoming that was 45 days out. YMMV. Start calling around. Try Nutley (NJ), Lev Framingham (MA), Sussman and Abeloff (Penn) first.

Probably depends a bit on one’s personality.

Pure numbers wise, it’s probably the lowest effective monthly the longer you own it. On a Telluride, that could mean extending the powertrain warranty in years 6-10 into a more comprehensive warranty resembling a new car warranty. This is often known as a “wrap” extension.

But some people are just allergic to spending any money on maintenance.

Do you think the same theory on TCO still carries weight if you’re the type of person who puts a lot of mileage on a vehicle? I’m talking easily 12-15k/year?

Yes, because it’s all relative. Safe to assume no one is here on LH because they can get by without a personal vehicle and meet all their needs through rideshare, public transit, rentals, bike, walk, etc.

The alternative to ownership is leasing.

Relative to 3 consecutive 36/15k leases, 9-year ownership will come out way ahead. It won’t even be close.

You aren’t kidding. Like their is something wrong with getting a referral to a good reputable mechanic or supporting a small business.

I recently had this discussion with a friend who picked up a $50,000 vehicle and was talking about how it had a warranty. If the same model that was a few years older could be had for $40,000 plus a $2000 Fidelity warranty and you pay for your own oil & filter changes for another $1000 means a savings of $7,000 but nope, rather have a newer year of the same model and have it be “under warranty” and oil changes included. Mind you this is Japanese vehicle known for reliabiltiy.

check with the brokers here maybe they can source something.

lease deals absolutely suck on these models plus they hold their value incredibly well, so its definitely something you’d want to buy.

It certainly doesn’t have the interior quality of the luxury rivals and I guess it is a bit smaller but perhaps a Subaru Ascent in a higher trim could fit the bill? it’s got pretty good safety ratings and I personally quite like the Eyesight suite of systems.

Maybe the new 3 camera system is better, mine beeps and blinks and chortles endlessly. If it wasn’t mostly useful, I’d just block the cameras.

The Ascent is nice.

I’m still a newb. I don’t see the point of buying at the moment. Unless you plan to sell in a few years, till or when we see what Happens with fully electric and or hybrid as they are perfected and prices of gas vs those reflect progress. In my layman thinking, I want full electric and wouldn’t buy at the moment. But im still a layman so just playing devils advocate or thinking out loud if you will.

Everyone’s situation is different. For many people, not replacing a lease-return or totaled vehicle is just not an option.

That seems downright reasonable compared to so many threads here or conversations IRL that begin with “gonna need new tires soon”

Like that’s $700 that can be amortized over 3+ years but somehow became the impetus for signing away a huge multiple of that number.

Or the guy whose used car needs $2,000 in work so he wants a $870+ per month G70… in other words a $30,000+ total lease cost.

Not to single anyone out, that’s just a fresh example of an all-too-common phenomenon.

1 Like

What’s your thoughts on the Telluride?

Probably the best vehicle in its class.

I’m just kinda bored of 2-pedal driving at the moment, gonna look for a third. And haven’t used the third row nearly enough to justify keeping it

How do I find the brokers who handle Hyundai?

You can click on marketplace on the homepage, then “all tags,” and type in “Hyundai.”

We have an outback which I like!.. Curious - besides Palisade, Telluride, and Ascent (all great recs btw thanks!)… anyone have any other car ideas I should add to the list to look at as an alternative to the xc90? Thanks!!