Negotiating Sale Price

When negotiating sale price do you negotiate a number with or without incentives and rebates included?

I spoke (over the phone) to a Sales manager earlier today, I’m trying to negotiate a good deal on a car that’s been sitting on the lot for more than 2 months. I told him I had an offer on a similar car at a different dealership and wanted him to match it. Atlas 4motion se/ w tech Rline MSRP$44,374, I offered 36k (18.9% disc) before incentives and rebates. The dealer has the car listed on their site for $39,974 (9.9% disc). He insisted that the deal I had from the other dealership must be with incentives and rebates included. He wanted to know if I wanted to lease or purchase, I said I’m looking to purchase, but that it shouldn’t matter. He went on to tell me that the incentives are different, I said obviously, but that I’m looking to negotiate a price before incentives and rebates. Now we’re talking in circles, he said he would be highly aggressive if I came in to talk directly with him… thoughts?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Wording Emails for the Deal?