Negotiating. Really frustrated

How do you counter when they want a credit card. To make a story short was at a dealer on Sunday for a 2016 Durango Limited. They told me its on transit but tried to push a Citadel woth 48.5k MSRP. First offer from them was 588 with 2500 down, plux tax and fees. I laughed a bit and the saleswoman told me well we have to offer same price to everyone or it would be considered discriminating. So i asked for sales price, residual, and mf. She did give it to me and said it was 48 month lease. I went over number and she said well tell me what you want. I did some rough calculation and told her 420 a month plus tax and fees upfront. She was ready but wanted a credit card to finalize. I backed out because it was not the color i wanted and did not feel it was worth to spend that much money. Sounded like it was a good deal if they accepted the offer.

Politely decline. Keep repeating to them : you’re a serous buyer and looking to get a car ASAP

Thank you. Good advice. To the original poster frustration is your enemy but i think everyone gave some great pointers. Regarding the 2016s on the lot its fair advice that with inventory dwindling and various programs expiring, pulling the trigger at some point is adviseable.

What exactly did she want the credit card for? I’m more than happy to put my drive-offs on a card and get points for it.

I agree. She did not say what she was going to charge, just a credit card to put a deposit and finalize the deal. If you decide to back out though can you call your credit card to cancel?

They can’t keep you deposit if you want to back out. But check your state laws.

1 Like

Very true but you read reviews sometimes people have to jump through hoops to get it.

Of course. They take your money but give back theirs :slight_smile:

Very true. :slight_smile: Anyone has had experience where the credit card company sided with the buyer when contesting a deposit?

So right now I am talking with a dealer and he has given me a very attractive lease offer, something I would sign. However when I press him for the net cap cost and residual he is reluctant. Won’t give them to me. What’s going on here? Should I check it out or is this common bait and switch?

I would take it. What i find in my experience they very reluctant to provide every detail. If you love the car and the deal seems like a great deal go for it. That is my opinion. When you go to sogn everything will be listed for you to see. If you dont like it do not sign the contract.

1 Like

Right it would all be on the agreement. However the dealership is about 1.5 hrs away. Which is why I’m hesitant about possibly wasting time and gas to check on something that would quite possibly be a dud.

Ask them to send you a contract or purchase order to sign. Not sure what they call them but people do it that way too.

Old thread but looking for confirmation, is the Certified Dealer MSRP Discount that appears in true car emailed certificates for sure before rebates/incentives? I just received one on an X1 and if pre-incentive, ill be picking up tomorrow

True car typically includes all rebate on the cert unless you uncheck them.

2 Likes

This may be late, but it’s before any manufacturer rebates/incentives, i.e. pure dealer discount.