Negotiating at lease end to purchase vehicle?

I’m wondering if its possible to negotiate a vehicle at lease end to purchase?

I have a Lexus IS that is almost at lease end. The residual is a few thousand dollars higher than what I am seeing on KBB even for CPO’s. So if I can pay KBB price or even what other similar vehicles are selling for currently, I’d like to purchase it.

If possible, do I negotiate with LFS, or the dealer? Can I apply any of the incentives/rebates available? Any tips and ideas would be much appreciated!

No negotiation, they’d reach out to you, no incentives or rebates, it’s a used car, and just extend the lease or buy a normal CPO one for less. You could write the VIN and track it after, but I doubt you’d find a dealer willing to buy it from auction for you, big headache.

2 Likes

Nope. A few manufacturers have offered reduced buy out amounts automatically, but haven’t heard of anyone negotiating it.

There are lots of threads on this topic available to search through.

1 Like

You can try calling and asking, but if the automatic offer hasn’t come in the last 60-30 days of your lease, it’s very unlikely it will happen.

Dealer can’t do much, and are usually restricted from buying it and selling it back to the lessee (the captives impose huge penalties when they find out) so it’s not worth it for them to do so. Unless you work something out with a dealer or close family member/friend and somehow get it back to you… (again, may not be worth the hassle).

As earlier stated, None for used cars.

Turn it in and get something else :slight_smile: oh, used car auction prices are rising again, and KBB may not be a true reflection of market pricing. Industry goes by blackbook or MMR for the most part

1 Like

Who knows right now, MMR doesn’t mean jack right now, there was a F250 that went for 6x MMR the other day.

on askcarsales much?

I’m actually banned from askcarsales! Nah, EthanJLR posted a photo in Offramp and I lost my marbles.

Haha, insidecarsales is where it’s at!

That’s really strange? Can you send me the information? MMR can be off a bit, but not that off typically.

It, and several other sales way over mmr were posted here a few days ago.

If you’re industry email with your dealer email to the leasehackr admin email to get an industry folks tag.

Yeah, the MMR on the truck was stupid low. The other cars, some of them went a bit high, but nothing crazy either. MMR is a tool like anything else, and it can be wrong/misinformed. There are lots of option packages that MMR doesn’t really pickup that can make a car a lot more valuable. In the C300 for instance, it’s Adaptive cruise control (Distronic). Super hard to find that on a C Class. C300’s with that are usually $55k + sticker versus $47k+ for just one with the LED headlights and P1/P2.

Yeah, I know. I’ve been a member here for over 3 years and have been in and out of the business for about 5 years. Last worked for BMW corporate until February 2019. Still have access to Manheim though. Planning on starting an indie later this year or next year though (mostly for fun, still keeping my day job). It’s expensive AF though.

2 Likes

Just like the restaurant industry eh?

Thought I got out of my bakery job, to be pulled in as front of house. Best of luck on that indie joint though!

I guess haha! I hear the tip money can be insane! But yeah, the car business is like that. You hate it, so you leave. But then you miss it, and get back into it. TBH, I mostly want to do it just feed my car buying habit so that I can buy a new car whenever I feel like it, drive it for a few weeks/months and then sell it and break even/make a small profit. Not trying to make a killing off of it.

KBB uses Manheim MMR in their calculation. They are sister companies under Cox Automotive.