Negative impact on value from paint job?

6 months left on a 36/10 lease, and just crossed 20k miles. Like the car and would purchase, drive it another two years, then switch to an EV. However, the car was keyed and had to be repainted. Authorized repair shop with a warranty on the work, but what does a significant paint job do to the resale value?

I’d have to dig out the paperwork but I believe the only part that wasn’t repainted was the front bumper.

And, for all those wondering, it was a random incident that impacted 15+ neighborhood vehicles.

Depends on what the carfax says.

Pull the Carfax and Autocheck

Get third party purchase quotes (as if you own it for payoff), disclosing the repair if asked, and compare to the current payoff

If it is on the carfax I would dock between 11 and 15%

Luckily, it’s a lease. You can walk away from this with no damage to you financially.

2 Likes

I just wanna know what E thinks

6 Likes

His enthusiasm for the topic is only matched by his word count

1 Like

That’s the direction I’m leaning

No, seriously, I’m gonna poke out my eyeballs. Please don’t tempt them.

If it’s not on Carfax it won’t affect the value a lot. You might still have some equity, sell it and lease another car. Don’t buy it.

It will negatively impact the value, though you may be able to find buyers who can’t tell if it’s not on the carfax .

Repaints are basically never as good as modern factory paint- thickness, the paint isn’t baked afterwards, it likely won’t wear as well, etc. I recently traded a car to a dealer- clean carfax, never hit. The dealer rep measured paint thickness on every metal panel to be sure before accepting the car.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.