Negative Equity and first Lease question - advice needed

Does it have sales tax credits?

Not that I saw, and the dealer mentioned down payment towards taxes. I will check another dealer

Youre wasting your time talking to dealers.

Talking to dealers is for finding someone to do your deal, not to ask them how much they want you to pay. Dont speak to another local dealer until you know exactly which vehicle youre pursuing and what all the numbers should look like.

You can find all the info you need here. Ratefindr will give you rv/mf/incentives for every vehicle of interest. Theres plenty of threads covering discussions where sales tax credits are discussed each month, and plenty of data points for establishing a pre-incentive discount target.

Not if you enjoy life and or would like to continue enjoying life.

Did I mention not hating life yet?

Yeah, I think @ninjaalex will have a better time trying to replicate this deal but with one of the remaining twenty or so 2023 model year EV6 in Texas. Maybe they’ll do sales tax credits too!

B/c the bz stinks or b/c of the financial part?

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

Respectfully make sure whatever car you’re considering it something you can commit to keeping for the full lease term. Cause if not, you’ll be right back here with potentially an even higher mound of negative equity to roll.

Just some general problems with rolling negative equity into a lease:

  • it’s one more moving part and gives the dealer one more shell to move around on you
  • you’re focused on finding a car with ultra low MF and ultra-high rebates rather than the best lease deal or the car you actually want
  • you’re effectively paying the negative equity regardless, the only advantage is a lower rate, and a lower ‘base payment’, but you’ll have no equity at the end anyway, and you’re also potentially paying more to lease a new car than your current car would have depreciated in that same amount of time.

Some have advised to take a beat, make extra principle payments as funds allow and reassess in a year, two years, etc. I think that’s the best advice, honestly.

IMG_8451

Well I inquired about an ev6 and with attitude I got that the 7500 rebate as well as the additional 5k rebate on the 2023 is only for finance and he said there are “some” lease rebates but he will have to check to see what they are and want my trade info first.
Like everyone else, I hate dealers. I think in the end its best just to save the headache and blood pressure and fund my current loan as much as I can and get out of it by either trading when I am not under or pay it off.

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

If you ask a dealer what their best deal is, you’ll get exactly that.

The caveat is that it is more often than not the best deal for them.

Hacking leases is hard man… sometimes people need to try a few dozen times before they can get aggressive enough to pound that monthly payment narrative in a way that OG LH-ers would be proud of.

The auto industry has spent decades honing the concept that buyers begin negotiations by asking for the dealer’s best offer first.

LH’s mindset of putting together a deal and presenting it is new to most car buyers… and is something that they’re probably not comfortable with nor seasoned to execute like a pro Hackr.

I disagree. Imo, it’s really, really simple.

Step 1: Establish what your deal should be
Step 2: Offer your deal and walk away if they say no
Step 3: Repeat step 2 until someone says yes

If everyone says no, revist step 1.

The problem is that most people want to skip step 1.

You should have a coffee chat with @delta737h on how hard it is to teach what may seem as rather simple concepts to college-level pupils. Who presumably actually want to learn something because they’re paying a huge amount of money for the information.

The fact that he in his retired spare time actually wants to keep teaching people how to hack leases and save money after dealing with students for decades is amazing.

I understand your points but to me with my situation of a trade in with negative equity I do not think I have the power to make a deal as if I was someone walking fresh to lease a vehicle
Of course I intend to walk away when the ballpark numbers are not to my liking. I only inquired to see what they offer and also so I don’t go to them wanting these rebates and prices and they do not offer them.

This statement is just trying to rationalize setting yourself up for failure. Knock it off, youre doing yourself a huge disservice.

Does Texas give a sales tax credit on value of a trade agianst the price of the new vehicle like MD does?

The only reason this makes sense is that the OP would be out of debt in 36 months versus the remaining 70 months. He would still have to pay the negative equity in a new lease, just over a shorter period. Best approach is to find a vehicle with a large lease rebate and low MF to minimize the monthly payment. The NE is going to add at least $500 a month to the payment.

Not sure what you mean by this, but ok

Im telling you to not convince yourself you dont have negotiating power