Needed: Simple Cargo Management Solution for a Giant Trunk (BMW 750i)

You can replace some of the plastic trunk fastener with BMW’s OEM grocery hook, which is basically a fastener with an attached hook.

My M340 didn’t come with any hooks (non RFT package) and I was very used to them from a F30, so I added two.

Here is the end result - you can scroll for before and after pics, and some other good suggestions: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25105491

The hook part number hasn’t changed in years: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/hook/51477258562/

1 Like

7 series trunk has a hook on left side for plastic grocery bags. Works lovely

I find using reusable grocery bags that have flat bottoms keeps things a lot more secure. Then again the back seat and footwell inside my 7 series are so large I rarely put thing in the trunk unless it is for privacy but that doesn’t include groceries. I like keeping groceries inside the HVAC controlled car and not in the very hot trunk in summer or freezing cold in winter.

As you know the carpet in these vehicles is very high quality. Those velcro discs on the bottom of the floor mats take a great deal of force to remove the floor mats. Whatever you buy getting the same density or teeth sized velcro hooks that the floor mats use would bite into the carpet nap perfectly and would probably keep a fully stocked wine fridge from sliding around in the trunk, let alone some plastic crate. Actually a wine/beer fridge would be a great accessory for a 7 series trunk and there sure is plenty of room for it back there.

Post some pics of whatever you end up fastening up.

Thanks to others would shared the grocery hook fastener replacements. Those are a super easy swap. I might need to pick up 1-2 and swap. Something good to ask a dealer for on a final counter offer at lease signing next time to seal the deal so you are not dropping $6-7 a piece on them next time around. Probably costs them $.20.

3 Likes

This could work well, I haven’t tried it though.
https://www.weathertech.com/cargotech/

I still stand by my solution. :kissing:

If you want to play it safe though, Sams/Costco also well these really handy collapsible crates that are wonderful in the cavernous trunk of a 7er.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I really appreciate all of the suggestions and comments.

I won’t be back home for a couple of weeks, but I’ll post photos of whatever I ultimately select after I get settled back in.

In the interim, feel free to add other thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestion. That’s actually one of the first things I bumped into when I started looking.

I would probably use those to hold an empty box of some kind in place, and at that point I’m back to Velcro as a more cost-effective way of accomplishing the same thing.

I’ll have to look more closely. :slight_smile:

I use this in my XC60:

Untimate Car Trunk Organizer - Best for SUV, Vehicle, Truck, Auto, Grocery, Home & Garage - With Premium Insulation Cooler Bag, 12 Pockets, Adjustable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K6T15BW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_zTeyjdTFLXoHW

It is 3 compartments wide with the 3rd being insulated. You could probably get 2 to fit the whole trunk but I find 1 sufficient.

1 Like

Got these from Costco. Works like a charm. Many colors to choose from.

1 Like

1 Like

If you trade in for a Maybach S650 they will probably throw in 3 complimentary comfort boxes.

I ADORE the Instacrate and have like 4 of them. :smiley:

I got back last night after a couple of weeks away.

Before I got started with a fresh look at this, I had to make a quick trip to the store for one item that I needed right away.

I immediately concluded that the single bag hook (which I did not notice before) that comes standard in the trunk will be woefully inadequate for general grocery shopping.

For reference, that’s a 10-ounce can of coffee in the photo.

I’ve also reconfirmed that a cargo net isn’t a viable option…

There are four anchors. Two are at the rear of the trunk, and there is one on either side about halfway back. All four are just about at floor level.

Clipping a cargo net to these four anchors would only hold things to the floor of the trunk, which wouldn’t be very convenient for groceries.

With whatever I select I don’t think I can go much taller than 10-12" without creating issues loading/unloading larger/bulkier objects (especially if what I select to manage the cargo is deeper than 12").

Sincere thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ll review them all again now that I have the actual measurements and have verified all of the constraints, and I’ll update the thread when I make a final selection.

If there are trials and errors along the way, I’ll share those too in case it’s helpful to anyone else with a 740i/750i/760i (740e and 745e will have different dimensions due to the trunk space that’s taken up by the battery).

Terrible photoshop job, sorry. Still bragging :face_with_raised_eyebrow::point_up:

3 Likes

I only have Paint and PowerPoint. :laughing:

I guess 740 ate your budget.

2 Likes

My Accord has TWO bag hooks and is 30” from trunk floor to top.

Sounds like you got ripped off.

2 Likes

The hooks work fantastic in mine