Need to get out of lease (Chase) with my 9600 mile 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. Help!

I got a lease for the 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. It was through Chase, so I can’t transfer the lease, and must do a buyout.

I thought I would actually keep the car much longer, but here I am.

The car’s buyout price is about $3,000 lower than what I’m seeing on private sales on craigslist, but I don’t want to risk moving my liquid money into buying the car, then trying to sell it.

I am listed on Swapalease, but it’s been months and no takers. Their monthly price is high, but it’s more of a finance where the leaser actually owns the car at the end of the term.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? Can I post on craigslist.org and just ask the buyer to trust the process of me taking their money, doing a buyout, and then transferring ownership?

Have you gotten offers from Carvana, VROOM, CarMax, etc.?

I am not sure whether Chase sells to the above dealers, but I would call up the dealers and ask.

Isn’t Swapalease for lease transfers only? If Chase doesn’t allow transfers then that avenue will not work for you.

Sorry to hear of your predicament… hope this helps

Would you if you were the other party? :grin:

Look at selling it for the payoff: you can check out Carvana/CarMax/Vroom, but also maybe Tred. I would not pay off the car to get the note for the lease, I’d try and sell it for as close to payoff as possible.

Could set up an escrow with a potential buyer…

I tried doing that with a potential buyer when I was trying to sell my Auid S5 and he thought I was scamming him instead of protecting both of us.

Chase will sell to Carvana. Sold my Mazda lease to them last year.

You do not need to buy the car first in order to sell it on Craigslist or Carvana, etc.

Just list it for sale, when you get to negotiations make sure the buyer understands that you have an outstanding note on the car. Very common, in this sense a lease is no different than if you had just financed it. The bank holds the title and will release it to the new owner once funds clear.

1 Like