Need help on vehicle damaged in dealer transit

I signed a lease on 2020 Mercedes GLC 300 AWD on Monday this week. Dealer told me I could get my car this Saturday. I just got a call from dealer said that my car got into an accident during transit and got totaled. He tried to find another one that has the similar packages, otherwise he will give me a refund.

Any suggestions about what should I do under this situation?

Thanks a lot!

Give the dealer a chance to find you another car.

9 Likes

DURING this situation? Hmmm… put together a puzzle? Catch up on correspondence? Play soduku? There are just so many options.

1 Like

OP posted her deal, but it hasn’t gotten any replies.

I’m sure she’d appreciate the opportunity to use this time to get some constructive feedback from people who are familiar with MB leases while she still has options.

Here is her thread:

1 Like

Dealer probably found someone that laid down for full sticker, so now the car is “totaled” and not available

4 Likes

I had something similar happen only it was after I signed and hired a shipping company who proceeded to total it. Believe me op is much better off in her situation with nothing to worry about except finding a new car.

Either way, this stuff happens. Hopefully they can find a suitable replacement. I sold a car once and it got totaled on the way back from the gas station. The customers were accountants and super picky, found them another car out of state, shipped it in and they almost didn’t take it because it had 325 miles.

2 Likes

Just got another call from dealer. I feel like that that’s the case. It is possible to get it back? I really like that car since it includes all packages I need. If not, how can I get a better deal for a replacement?

Does the dealer have a higher MSRP GLC on their lot? If so it never hurts to ask (very kindly).

1 Like

Find one the ground some where so you don’t have to play this game, you can just take delivery on the spot. You might just have to fly down to socal.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I just got another call from dealer. I feel like the car hasn’t got totaled. They just could not get the car from other dealership. But I really like this car since it includes every package I want and doesn’t have other extra packages. How can I push them get me a similar one?

If I sign another lease, do I need to go through credit pull again?

I don’t like the higher MSRP one :rofl: It’s not the color I want.

You can tell them that’s the car you want and to find another or tell you how long to order one.

If it’s more than a few days at the same dealer, probably. If you end up at a new dealer, yes.

Thanks for the help for everyone reply here.

In the morning, I received another call from the dealer. The dealer found one car out of state has the same packages. But they could not guarantee the price I have signed and it increased about $100 per month. Then I went to the dealership. I insisted I don’t need a refund and just want the same car. It’s dealer’s responsibility to get me the car with same packages. After about 30 mins wait in the lobby, the sale manager came to me and said the original car is not damaged. I could get the car in 2 hours. Since it was dark after 2 hours, I said I would pick the car up tomorrow.

Are there anything I need to pay attention tomorrow when I pick up the car? He said he want me to sign a new lease with the same VIN since the old lease start date is one week ago. Any tricks he may put into new lease?

Thanks!

I’m confused. The dealer said it’s totaled, then they couldn’t trade for it, but now they have it?

Walk away, duh.

4 Likes

Why not just tell them that you are ok with the lease starting last week since the car wasn’t supposed to arrive until today anyway? Don’t re-sign the contract, just make sure the VIN matches.

I might not be totally grasping what the dealer is trying to do here - others more informed will chime in - but you have a signed lease contract already, correct? I don’t see why you would need to re-sign anything if it is the same car you signed the contract for a week ago.

I would walk- they already lied to you. How many times do you need to get burned before you learn a lesson?

But it’s not my car or $, that’s just what I would do.

Thanks for the advice!

The reason I don’t want to walk away is I could not get the similar car with the same packages. I searched online, most of the car with similar packages are far away (>1500 miles). Also the dealer has pulled my credit for the lease. If I go to the other dealer, the credit will be pulled again. I don’t want that. And I don’t want to go through the process of negotiating price with dealer again.

But lesson learned, next time I will ask dealer to communicate through the email instead of phone. So I could keep a record. Next time even after I walk away, I could have something to protect myself.