Need help getting out of bad car situation

Guessing cloth seats?

1 Like

Cloth seats donā€™t inherently smell bad

This was also a floor model, so it possibly contained many various scents of hard working people.

7 Likes

As others said, you canā€™t make that $7k disappearā€¦but you could potentially use the ev rebates to cut some of it off. Maybe she is lucky and lives in SJVā€¦ or has low incomeā€¦if thatā€™s the case then you can erase almost all of that $7k with the rebates. Good luck finding a decent lease on an ev SUVā€¦but a regular car should be no problem. The bottom line is she need to make some sacrifices to get over thisā€¦is she really willing to do that? I found that while most say they do they actually arenā€™t.

So, as I understand, someone wants to get out of the perfectly fine small SUV into a new even more perfect small SUV and roll over a good amount of negative equity? Brilliant.

6 Likes

OK, I get what the OP wants to do here. However, unless you find a unicorn lease deal for $175/mo for 36 months, then add the $7000 negative equity on top, you will be close to $400/mo including interest. If she is paying $500 per month now, I see how she wants to take advantage of a cheap lease deal to allow more money going towards the $7k debt as opposed to financing the Rogue.

The key here is finding a cheap lease deal. The trick is you canā€™t have your cake and eat it too. If sheā€™s focused on a certain car, you have to be patient. If sheā€™s focused on a cheap deal, you have to be flexible with which cars have deals in that month.

1 Like

Okay, I totally acknowledge that many posters here are way better w/ number than am I, butā€¦ Arenā€™t we assuming that the debt is incurred because the friend is financing the Rogue? So you can move the debt around, but the debt still exists.

Whatā€™s the rationale for paying $175 more per mo over 36 mos for a new car (if the friend can even find a car for that price that she likes), rather than just making that additional payment on a car you already have (and thatā€™s still pretty close to new)?

This sentence doesnā€™t even fit in my head.

One doesnā€™t ā€œtake advantageā€ of paying double tax and interest resulting in more money going towards the negative equity.

The way to cure negative equity is to wait or make bigger payments or both. (or snowy off ramp)

But leasing a new car in the same or lower class and aiming to pay a huge payment on it is by no means taking advantage of anything.

2 Likes

As always, someone is seeking a magical solution to negative equity.