Need advice please about an offer from a car buyer - Is it a good deal?

Hi guys,

This is a Brooklyn, NY newbie here. A couple of months ago, We had a very bitter experience with our new Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland trim. In brief, while being parked overnight on the street, one of those ruthless NYC Sanitation trucks damaged the sub-frame. The vehicle is in a repair process as we speak performed by the Jeep dealership in Long Island. Bad luck and superstition forced us to look for end-of-lease solutions and that’s where we need your advice, please! I included a screenshot link (Imgur) of our Lease agreement and an excerpt from an email We just got from a VA car buyer,

"Hello,

This is Name from Name, I am willing to offer you $53,000 for your Grand Cherokee sight unseen. If you have an appraisal, please send it to me and I will see if we can match or beat it."

Since we have never done it before, We’d really appreciate your time to share your thoughts about it. What should we do, be aware of, and expect in our situation? Is US Bank going to allow me to do that, and if so, should we take the deal, etc.? Each minute of your time and effort is greatly appreciated in advance. So sorry if I missed more details, but feel free to ask me anything anytime. Thank you.

Best :slight_smile:
Screenhot link

One offer in isolation means nothing. What’s the best offer?

1 Like

Subframe? If that appears on a Carfax you watch the offer drop down. I don’t think the ‘VA Buyer’ checked that but he will when you try to sell it.

Try to get Diminished Value from the City as well but it can be hard.

First things first, this is most likely a come-on and probably not worth pursuing. Second, US Bank leases have inflated third party buyouts that would make this fruitless to pursue even if it was real. Third, if that offer was real it would most likely not be taking the subframe damage into account since it has most likely not been reported yet, since the repairs have not been completed.

I would double doubt the diminished value idea considering the car is a lease.

It may be worth pursuing just to get out of a vehicle that may never drive the same again (I’m surprised frame damage didn’t lead to it getting totaled). USB will ask a payoff to third parties based on their estimation of fair market value ( we don’t know what that figure is yet)… if a third party happens to be silly enough to offer more or close enough, then say goodbye to that almost-totaled car.

I was really surprised that the dealer decided to repair it. Here’re the photos that I missed submitting earlier.
Imgur link

With the amount of people who post here claiming they got it, well if OP doesn’t ask, he will never get. If he asks and finds out it’s an uphill battle to get $XXXX , well then he has a choice. Don’t ask, no choice.

I have a very hard time finding a lawyer just to consult myself with. Once they hear no personal injury they simply say it’s not their field. Can someone here recommend one who takes such cases? And also does the diminished value applies to lease cars or not? Thanks.

This was a NYC truck, or the privately owned ones?

I think it was a subcontractor.

NYC does not use subcontractors for transportation pickup.

Was it a private sanitation company, that pickups from businesses?

I thought NYC DS subcontracts those sanitation trucks. My bad.

Shady business to put it mildly.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.