Need advice on new SUV Lease - Trading in 2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 towards Tonale, GV70. etc

Appreciate the feedback. I am avoiding the finance because I would like to lower my monthly payments at the time if possible and want to have more liquid cash in hand as I am also considering a mortgage over the next year (if these rates ever improve).

I have considered selling back to Honda but have been told I would only get a good price if only I traded towards another Honda.

Any reason you are not recommending PPF? I am concerned about leaving matte paint as is since I drive in some very bad roads (NY) and am worried about rock chips which would be expensive fix for matte paint. Honestly would like to avoid matte paint if possible but there is literally no other colors available in the same trim around me.

$6k is a lot. Itā€™s like a $6k down payment. If your car gets totaled, you donā€™t get that back. Genesis traditionally donā€™t lease very well. There is a fire sale on Audi Q5s right now.

I tried the Q5, honestly felt cheap compared to the GV70. Any specific sale youā€™re referring to?

Costco and Audi incentives. Brokers in SoCal have them for under $500/mo effective.

Wow that is wild pricing! I donā€™t have costco and am in NY but I did see NYCLIFE has a 2025 for $530 and 2023 Q5 for $620. Trying my luck with that right now.

1 Like

The OP plans to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease. You donā€™t think the Genesis is going to cost less over the long run than an Audi Q5?

If thatā€™s the priority then donā€™t take on a $60k+ liability right now.

Complete waste of money for the scenario youā€™re describing (lease it, buy it out at the end and own it for several years after that). No one is going to pay you even $600 more for your car vs one with normal wear and tear. Your ROI is going to be almost zero.

Just get a non-matte color or, to my earlier point, choose a different make/model.

1 Like

Couple of notes on Genesis. I donā€™t have one, but a few of my friends do. If you are going to have to deal with Hyundai dealership for service, move on right now. Thatā€™s where Genesis luxury experience goes out the window and you are stuck dealing with what is one step above Kia as far as assholes per employee ratios.

Since you are planning to buy it out, do some research into the problems with that model. They are pretty shitty reliability-wise. Like a lot of Hyundai offerings flashy things, with shit mechanicals. Lease is fine, but again if your plan is to own it, consider it past the ā€œHonestly I am smitten by the 2023 GV70 Advancedā€, it sounds like you are now making decisions with your heart vs your brain.

Gun to my head to put the cars in your list in order of preference would go: X3 > Q5 > Rebadged Dodge if it was half the price of x3 > GV70 (only after looking around at what else is out there). As a disclaimer, Iā€™d rather walk than ever have to deal with my local Hyundai dealer.

2 Likes

X3 and Q5 are way overpriced for what you get.

That could be in todayā€™s market, I havenā€™t been following the prices on those specific cars. Iā€™m going from purely preference based on quality, luxury, driving dynamics, dealership experiences, etc. For me personally Iā€™d rather go with either of the Germans, or if thatā€™s not in the budget, just skip the luxury segment and go based on prices. Maybe thatā€™s an old way of thinking, but to me Genesis is Hyundai, Acura is Honda (honestly in some aspects Honda is better), Infiniti is Nissan, and the only one that managed to break the draw down from the regular brand is Lexus / Toyota.

I currently drive a GV80 (financed) and a G70 (leased). Used to lease a loaner G70 previously that was totaled in an accident. My experience with the brand has been mostly positive. As others mentioned, the dealership experience is bad. But the cars are an amazing value for what they offer. And I dig their designs. GV70 is no exception and looks terrific.

I can not speak of their long term reliability since all of my cars are/were late model years. But with 70,000 miles split across three cars, they have been very reliable with genesis provided prepaid maintenance for 36 months. For service, I like their valet pickup/drop. But Iā€™ve seen a few dealers try to discourage this by providing appointments thatā€™s few months out if you choose valet option. On my G70, they found uneven tire wear after the first 5000 miles and replaced all 4 under warranty. Other that, I only had to regular maintenance and itā€™s been solid at 17k miles now. Our GV80 has racked up close to 35k miles. It is trouble free as well with only regular maintenance. I had the dealershipā€™s body shop replace front grille, hood due to a collision few months back and Iā€™m not very happy with the work. In spite of using a genesis dealer and OEM parts, I saw the hood-bumper panel gap is slightly misaligned. And they tried to convince me itā€™s normal and thatā€™s the best they could do.

Fuel economy is not great. On my GV80 with the 2.5 engine, I get around 24 - 26. On the G70 with 3.3T itā€™s horrible at 20 - 23 and with a heavy right foot it drops to high teens.

Overall, the cars are great, not so great fuel economy and sub par dealership experience. Iā€™m not used to any luxury brands, so I can work it. Good luck with your search.

1 Like

Is it possible for them to keep auto refreshing their listings say every two weeks to fake this data?

Good question. I donā€™t know.

You should have at least $6K in equity on your Accord lease if your buyout is only $20K. [Black Book] National Average ā€˜Trade-Inā€™ value for a '20 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT w/24K is ~$26K. Thatā€™s in ā€˜Averageā€™ condition. Probably not too far off what the selling price of it was when you first leased it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.