Need advice negative equity rollover on lease

You want to get out of the car due to predicted ownership expenses? Or just bored with it and want something new?

Sounds like a Bolt is in order, road trip in rentals, they are cheap and don’t burn all your miles up

1 Like

Just wanted something new

Don’t forget that any negative equity you roll in to a new lease gets compounded with rent charge and tax again. That $9k in negative equity is going to easily turn in to $10k by the time you’re done.

Is it worth an extra $10,000 to not have to drive a bmw 5 series for a somewhat short period of time?

3 Likes

What will Carvana give you for your car, is it above the $24k trade in value? Could you write a check for the difference?

If you have financial flexibility it might be better to separately shop selling the car for best offer. I try not to judge people’s financial decisions, but if you can’t cut a check for the difference it may be better to hold on to it longer. It’s likely nicer than any car you’ll be able to get into for the same payment with after rolling in the negative equity.

What’s your current loan rate? Can you refinance at a better rate to cut down on some expense ? Flipping almost $10k neggy eggy (sorry had to) isn’t going to be easy or ideal when you wanna flip the car in 2 years because you’re bored and want something new again.

2 Likes

The best way to handle this in your situation is to bring $9,000 to the table when you sign. If you are set on rolling it, you need to consider something other than another bmw.

But you should definitely keep this thing at least another 1-2 years, which by your math will still be at/under 100k.

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:This.

$9k is a lot of $$ to :fire::fire:

1 Like

Not if you want to stay under 350 a month on certain highly sought after hybrid models… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Whenever I have tried to write that on of my posts, I thought I’ll avoid it since I`m sure someone would cringe and I guess I found that person lol.

To the OP

1. pay off the - equity or see market value from actual buyers and not a guesstimate machine like KBB
  2. find a vehicle to roll into that does not depreciate $1/millisecond. Low dollar, high resale, 0% financing with rebates. Or maybe a used/cpo program which gets you a lower cost of entry and offer near 0% financing (honda I think)
  3. avoid the lease unless its got a ton of EV credit
1 Like