My Santa Fe Limited Ultimate Tech Pack offer and My MDX w/Adv Tech Pack Offer

First off a HUGE thank you to this community for helping me better understand how to calculate lease deals, negotiate deals, and renegotiate deals.

I learned how to use the forum and edmunds to get residual values and money factors, plug them in with expected purchase prices on edmunds, add in the incentives found online and get a reasonable lease payment expectation which I was then able to use to take to dealers and show them why and how their “amazing terrific deal” was higher than an “average” price paid.

I also learned from this forum an AMAZING technique of just backing into the sale price you need to get the payment you want and just emailing to all the dealers you’re willing to drive to and see if any of them will take the deal. I hadn’t even thought of basically reverse internet shopping where you bring the deal to them!

It scored me an incredible deal on an MDX thats almost $3k below invoice with no incentives, which four other deals in my area laughed at! Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get enough out of my trade in from the Acura dealer or any surrounding used car dealerships to make it work but its certainly a technique I’ll use next time around.

I also posted a Hyundai deal here that I had been offered and you guys told me to work on the sales price a bit more or get them to throw some dealer cash at it to sweeten the deal and they DID! I got another $1,000 in dealer coupons (basically $500 coupons the dealers get for doing volume which they can use at their discretion) they didn’t want to go below invoice on the purchase price so this was a great way to get us to the same bottom line. That plus a great deal on my trade-in got me to $405/mo on a $45k car! WOW! Thanks guys! This is the car I’ll be signing papers on and picking up in a couple of days.

Without Further Adieu, my numbers…

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2017 Acura MDX AWD w/Adv Tech Package

MSRP: $57,340
Selling Price: $50,250 (This was incredible, most dealers wouldn’t go below $53,000. We saw the paperwork where he was clearly losing $2,500 on the deal but he makes it back on volume incentives from acura)
Rebates: $0
Trade-in: $0 (This is where the deal fell apart, my current lease has a payoff of $28,100 and this dealer could only give me $27k for it, I couldn’t afford the payments if I rolled in negative equity. Other dealers in the area were quoting from $26k - $30k but $27k was pretty average so I don’t think he was hiding costs here and the deal was good even if he didn’t take my trade)

Dealership fees: $2,619 (this was another sticking point and if we took the deal I would have pushed harder here, this was a $400 doc fee, a $595 acq fee, another $400-ish in various accounted for fees but then $1,200 in fees that he didn’t know he was charging but its the only way the math works. No one knew where the $1,200 was coming from and thats obviously a problem)

Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 12,000

MF: 0.00101
Residual: 59%

Security Deposit: $0
Total Due At Signing: $953 ($400 doc fee + $593 first payment)
Monthly Payment (incl. tax): $593

Zip Code: 03087
Sales Tax Rate: 0%

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited Ultimate w/Tech Package

MSRP: $44,985
Selling Price: $42,150
Rebates: $3,250 ($1,500 bonus cash for a 36 mo lease, $750 loyalty/competitive offer, $1,000 dealer coupons)
Trade-in: $1,833 (this really made the deal, they were definitely burying some extra incentives here but I’m not sure how, no other dealer in the area went over $29k for my trade-in, most were at $27k-ish, but this dealer offered $30k which gave me some sweet equity to put towards the deal as my payoff was ~$28k)

Dealership fees: $1,019 ($595 acq fee and $424 doc fee)

Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 12,000

MF: 0.00056
Residual: 55%

Security Deposit: $0
Total Due At Signing: $405 (first months payment)
Monthly Payment (incl. tax): $405

Zip Code: 03087
Sales Tax Rate: 0%

My worksheets are below:

2 Likes

Great post, I’m sure that will help others get better deals so thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks, I notice for me anyway, it was easy to find residual and mf numbers but actual dealer pricing was a bit harder to gauge. When I found out the MDX would require 12% off list price, and $3k below invoice I wasn’t sure if that was realistic or not, so I thought I would post to let people know it may not be realistic but that doesn’t mean someone won’t do it! For me, I just had to find someone with enough volume to be able to make it work.

x2 on what @Ed_Churchward said…the full details help everyone understand how you arrived at the bottom line…

1 Like