My Mom needs a car in Germany!

My 81 year mom, who lives in a small town about an hour from Frankfurt, Germany, needs a new car. Her 1971 VW Bug has finally died!

She, and I, have no idea how to navigate and buy a car in Germany. She doesn’t want to spend a lot of money (10K), doesn’t drive much, would drive a manual, lives up a very steep hill and obviously snows during the winter.

Thanks!

Why did you mark this as California?

I’m pretty sure the forum is US-only, and it’s for leases, not purchases.

1 Like

I live in California…perhaps some people down here have experience do this?

Maybe try @StingerTT, and read his thread from 3mos ago about needing a car in Germany due to an upcoming move his was anticipating. As I recall I remember seeing some good suggestions shared in his thread.

Good Luck either way.

Good car for mom: Golf or Jetta.

Since she had an almost 50yr old Bug, who was her mechanic for all the years? That person may know someone from his other customers that is looking to sell a car in good shape that would be within her budget requirements.

If you have a good auto mechanic, I trust that person and most times they know of used cars in good shape for sale.

1 Like

81, doesn’t drive much. If she has access to Uber or similar service that would be more economic and likely safer. For specifics on the car market in Germany I would visit a German website. Not much chance you will get informed opinions here, you’ll get opinions but not likely informed ones.

Best advice !