Multiple Security Discount Question

This is my first question and if these questions are already answered, please point me to the thread. Appreciate the help and the awesome platform that this forum provides.

I’ve noticed that some of the deals include “Multiple Security Discounts” or MSDs as they call it. I’ve noticed some deals posted in the marketplace that included this. My question has 2 parts:

1. How do dealers see these MSDs as beneficial enough to reduce money factor or APR? I know that MSDs are refundable and that would prevent the lessee from jumping ship. I am more interested in the relationship between the number/amount of MSD and the reduction of money factor or APR.

2. How do I know that the dealer would reduce APR if MSDs are brought up if we are interested in pursuing a particular car that they have?

Thanks

Welcome!

The dealership isn’t affected or influential here, they’re just the middleman.

The captive lenders that offer MSDs reduce the MF/interest rate in exchange for holding on to multiples of your payment, which reduces their risk.

As long as your state doesn’t forbid them, you can search the 101/wiki/faqs for brands that allow them (BMW, Volvo, Toyota/Lexus to name a few).

To add to jeisen’s comment, Mazda and Audi take MSDs too. If you use the Calculator, you see the individual MF reduction each deposit has, with the pre MSD money factor being the input, MSDs being a modifier, and a post MSD money factor as a result which is displayed.

MSDs can be seen as a reduction in the money factor on a lease, it’s very quantifiable (by nature of money factor reduction) and very easy to identify via payment, das, etc. We can easily calculate money factor, compare it to the bottom / best / ‘base’ rate, if we have the other variables, ie, selling cost (contract), msrp (Monroney sticker + contract), incentives/residual value (forum,edmunds,com our source for incentives and residual value info), and mileage for residual value adjustment (from you or dealer if a service loaner, etc).

This was a new concept for me too recently. I suspect that this method was initially used by folks with less than stellar credit histories, to get the interest rates to a more reasonable level. But anyone can take advantage. it is a good ROI if you can spare the cash to keep locked up for 3 years or so.

1 Like

Turning in leased M8 for leased M4.

7 MSDs for both. Total of $13300 for M8. Total of $11550 for M4. Recycle the $13300 for M4 w/ the excess $1750 used to reduce selling price of M4.

How to input all of that into calculator?

Not exactly the right thread, but you just put MSDs in and a 1750 cost cap reduction (downpayment) - if all your other #s are correct, the MSD figure will line up automatically - by rolling you’re getting money back and then immediately redeploying it, so there’s nothing too stressful you need to worry about.

Thanks for the advice. Enter the 1750 as down payment or reduction in selling price?

You might already be aware of this, but typically you have to front the MSDs for the 2nd vehicle before you have received the MSD reimbursement for the 1st vehicle you are turning in/selling. The reimbursement arrives 2-6 weeks (depending on car manufacturer) after the financials on the 1st vehicle have closed.

Down payment.

Thanks for the input.

W/ my BMW dealer, it’s all paperwork. MSDs for the M8 are immediately available for use on the M4. The excess 1750 reduces M4 selling price.

My question here, is where do I input the 1750 into the calculator - down payment or capitalized selling price?

1 Like