Multiple security deposit MSD manipulation?

Has anyone heard of this one. I don’t want to get too specific YET, because I just found out about it and I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I recently turned in a lease vehicle for another lease vehicle of the same brand.

I specifically negotiated the new lease on the condition that the MSD’s from the old lease would be returned and not put in the deal. I was assured that would not happen and guess what….it did. They used my MSD‘s to pay off a portion of the returned leased vehicle. The lease company acknowledged that there was no documentation to use the MSD‘s for this purpose as there is supposed to be, when conducting such a transaction.

This had nothing to do with any charges that were due for turning in vehicle it was very low mileage and in perfect condition. No issues were identified during the inspection.

As I said I am going to give them the chance to work this out but I am wondering if this is a common practice that is going on. Thanks for any input

Mind saying which brand this was?

I will after I give them a few days to see how they are going to handle it. Don’t want to slam them if honest mistake. Part of it is pretty popular here on Leasehackrs

What was there to pay off?

The dealer pays off the balance owed then re sells the car. Just like you can buy it at end of lease. Residual.

So you traded it in rather than grounded the lease. How far from lease end were you?

About 6 months from lease end

Was the msd balance used to cover your remaining payments?

No, none of that. Msd’s were to be refunded. We specifically spoke about that with sales and finance. I have the text string discussing it. Just wondering if others have experienced this?

I don’t mean what they were “supposed” to do, but what actually happened.

Let’s say the msd’s were 3000 and the payoff was 20,000. The dealer sent the leaseholder 17,000 and told them to use the 3000 msd’s to make up the difference. Generally, That’s what happened in this case

You owed either 6 months payments or the negative equity.

What were those figures in actual dollars, not some made up number?

I don’t think the dealer can use MSDs to do that. These money is between the bank and lessee. I will assume it was a Volvo, which clearly spells out “refundable security deposit” on the contract.

1 Like

I’m guessing bmw x3

No idea lol
But my point stands.

I may have cheated and looked at his post history

7 Likes

You should be ashamed of yourself :grin:

Well played. Neither confirm or deny at this point!

What does the contract on the new vehicle state?

No msd’s on the new contract