Multi-brand new/used car inventory search: an evolution story of python script to a web scraper to an API driven webapp

Added some dealers, the milestone:

2 Likes

This is great, you should beach out into other desirable products and put it behind a paywall.

Awesome, glad people find it useful. I like to keep it free for LH community. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to donate for a cup of coffee or to help with hosting costs, feel free to paypal @ clasys@gmail.com

1 Like

Hopefully people are using it, I just love the idea and build quality.

Pick out a Bean and if you want it flavored, PM me your details i will send you some coffee.

2 Likes

Sorry to add a suggestion, but iirc doesn’t the AutoNation API also return if the car is available, sale pending etc. IK that doesn’t work for JLR products, but for most brands the system does.

Thanks, appreciate it! PM’d you.

Suggestions are always most welcome, after all I’m trying to tailor it to the needs of LHers the best I can. I will look and see if that’s the case. It might as well be.

Edit: so I could only find in transit/on the ground flags in AutoNation API search response payload. Looks like these:

correspond to these in payload:

“S” - stock, “T” - transit. I can add another field to my API response payload for autonation listings to indicate these for their inventory.

2 Likes

Added “Inventory Status” for AutoNation listings. If it’s there, it will show up as “in transit” or “available now”. If whole search result subset is missing this info, “inventory status” column will be hidden.

3 Likes

This is really amazing! Thank you all for your hard work and for making this happen

2 Likes

Hey, welcome to lease hackr! Thanks for good words, appreciate it

3 Likes

This is such a great tool, needs more attention. I just looked up Lexus GX in the west and was surprised to see some dealers with 5+ stock. Gives some hope for negotiation.

1 Like

Figured out another generic routine to query what appears to be API for sites on DealerCom platform. This brings large auto groups with thousands of listings that weren’t available before to the pool of searchable inventory. E.g. Ford search in Midwest is at 4.2K results.

I will keep adding large auto groups that deal with multiple brands. This is the quickest to grow searchable inventory. :sunglasses:

Post your favorite large auto groups for your region. Across 4 different API types, its a good chance I support it out of the box. I’ll check and if they are compatible, add them to the app (if they aren’t already in the list).

5 Likes

This needs to plug in with the API on leasehackr for rate finder and show the payment calculated right your website. That would be the killer app. Auto trader already does this for finance estimates.

1 Like

1 Like

I :eyes: you :joy:

:clap:t4:

1 Like

just stumbled onto this , does anything from Mazda west coast show up ?

I’ve been totally swamped lately with changing jobs and such. Just seeing it, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

There was a bug in error handling that was preventing results from appearing if there were errors. Its fixed now and you should see thousands of mazda results for west coast region.

4 Likes

This is a great tool, thank you!

A good group to include would be Berkshire Hathaway Automotive. Dealer group active in 10 states with over 100 dealerships, and they have a searchable group website: https://www.berkshirehathawayautomotive.com/

1 Like

Great tip, I’ll look into adding it. Thanks

Added it. +19K listings across 10 states and all brands. I’ll probably need new hosting, hitting cap on memory usage with free tier in Azure, now that there is so much data, even when segregated by region.

2 Likes

Is there still a link that can work to scrap all incoming BMW and Audi, with specific options and packages. I am looking for a specific one that can be located/swap by dealership if possible, if not review upcoming BUILDS.

Thanks,
JessieM