MSRP/ Selling Price? confused, help!

so i’ve been having a hard time finding the selling price for the vehicle i’m looking into. I have asked two dealerships and i’ve basically been left hanging with no clear response. one dealership told me the msrp is the selling price?? sorry im a bit confused!
I tried edmunds as well and can’t find it…… i’m looking into the Honda Accord 2021 1.5T Sonic Gray Pearl
I appreciate the feedback (-:

Welcome to year 2 of supply shortages

Check Shared Deals and SIGNED here to see what others have paid for similar cars, but no point looking further back than June of this year.

1 Like

Some dealers sell over MSRP some sell for MSRP and some sell under. If they don’t give you a clear answer move on to the next dealer. Or change car/brand etc.

2 Likes

Selling price is what the dealer will agree to sell you the vehicle for. Msrp is what the manufacturer suggested the price should be.

In easier times the selling price will be at a discount from msrp in leaner times you will probably pay at or over msrp.

We suggest you read up on leasing 101 to help familiarize yourself with typical terms and processes before you begin negotiating your next lease.

Best of luck.

1 Like

There isn’t a set selling price, other than what the dealer agrees to sell it for, so you’re never going to see a published value, other than what goes on your contract.

MSRP is a fixed value and is listed on the window sticker of the vehicle.

A dealer saying “the selling price is msrp” is a dealer saying “we are offering no discount.”

1 Like

Selling price is what the dealer is WILLING to let it go for.
MSRP is what the finance company uses to gauge how much money to lend you.

So if the dealer wants 20% over MSRP, and the finance company is only willing to go 10% over MSRP, you have to pay the difference in cash.

Usually Selling is equal or less than MSRP, but this year? It’s a crapshoot.

1 Like

Why are you confused?

What answer are you expecting? Like them giving you a specific number or an explanation?

It’s a little confusing from your wording whether you’re asking what the two prices mean or why they are many times turning out to be the same. My quick input:

• MSRP is the ‘list’ price - ie what’s printed on the window sticker.
  • Selling price is what you’re actually going to pay for the car. Normally, incentives and rebates are subtracted from the MSRP, and that becomes a starting point for negotiating further with the dealer for more discounts. The lower a selling price is relative to the MSRP, the better the ‘deal’ is and the lower the monthly payments will be, whether you’re leasing or buying.
  • Unfortunately, in the current market, there are very few incentives and rebates, and with many, many makes and models dealers have no motivation to discount on their own. This leads to ‘selling price’ being very close to equal to MSRP. And you don’t have to look far to find markups by dealers, where they’re actually asking more than MSRP as a selling price.
  • If you’re having trouble getting straight answers, I’d suggest following the other advice to research realistic market prices and making the dealers an offer of a selling price of your own. The worst they can do is say no or counter upwards with their own offer. If you’re still not comfortable doing that, then maybe change you’re wording to ask for something like their ‘best out-the-door price’ on the car you want. If they come back with a number, at least you have a starting point to research. If they only come back with replies trying to get you to ‘come in to discuss’, that’s a sign its going to be a hard dealer to work with.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.