Moving to NY with Alfa lease

Due to a death in our family, we will be moving to NY state soon. I have a 24 month Alfa Romeo Guilia lease that has just over a year left. I love the car but how does transferring a lease and registering in NY work? Is it worth it? Maybe it is better to trade it in when I get to NY and start fresh in NY? I have a great lease payment and lots of miles left. I have put on 5,400 (including a roadtrip) since October! The lease is through ALLY and if I understand correctly I can not sell it to Carmax or Carvana?

Sorry for your loss.

You can keep it! Generally you call and ask the captive for a power of attorney to register the car in a different state, take everything to DMV and transfer the registration. When you call, also ask them how the move impacts any taxes on the lease/payment.

Good luck!

Great! In NV, we pay sales tax of 8.5% ish on the monthly lease payment. Do you know how it works in NY? I know every state is a little different. Do I have to get that ugly off center front plate in NY😎?

I am not sure what you mean by “off center”. You do need a front plate and the design has changed in the last few months, no longer Empire State, now Excelsior.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/07/us/new-york-license-plate-trnd/index.html

1 Like

Alfa Romeo front plates are off center afaik.

@BigMouthStrikesAgain someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but my current understanding of the tax code is upfront tax on the remaining lease payments at your local tax rate.

I’ve seen those plates around recently. I didn’t know they’re completely eliminating the gold and blue plates for those. Thought it was just a vanity style that a N.Y. resident could order…I think they’re better than the gold/blue

I remember the old white and blue and even the yellow NY plates from the 70’s/80’s era…

I’m in NJ so no longer a N.Y. state resident.

OP, yes NY requires a front plate whether it’s dead center or off to the side like Hershey posted.

I guess you have no choice to keep it off to the side on an Alfa but looks completely ghetto when people do them on VW’s or BMW’s especially.

Maybe we’ll wait out and move after the lease ends due to the off center plate, LOL

1 Like

Your lessor should stop charging you NV tax once you move so it will almost be a wash.

NY tax varies by county. Most are between 7.5-8.875% of the payments, due upfront.

How tough is enforcement in NY? Im in Cali, and no one cares about front lates or out of state. My boss moved from out of state and didn’t register his car for 3 years, no issues. I constantly see plates from IL, NY, MA on the roads here and again no one cares. Hows it in NY because I know by EoY I’ll have to move there and I am not planning to screw holes in the front bumper for front plates

Depends which part of NY? Definitely will get stopped for no front plates in NYC. Grab zip ties they’ll become your best-friends

You are correct in your understanding of the tax due and oh my, that is some ugly off-center tag.

As to running around with out of state plates, I did it in NY for almost a year, lots of out of state plates here in college town.