Motor-Home Hacking

I never heard of bowlus. Lord, they are expensive. Basically, they start at $250k for a travel trailer.

I have rented a fair number of campers throughout the years. I pretty much came to the conclusion that if it is made in Indiana I won’t buy it. NuCamps or Airstreams for me.

I got a nuCamp T@B400 about a year ago. Took about 10 dealerships to find one that kept their pre-covid pricing which was about 10k cheaper then all the other dealers and cheaper then 1-2 year old ones. Now of course a year later used pricing has tanked we have added a dog and outgrown the teardrop but with values we will likely be keeping this one for awhile.

1 Like

Any experience or thoughts on ember?

You don’t read his text eh?

1 Like

Ember RV was founded by Ashley Bontrager, granddaughter of the founders of Jayco

Looking at the 360 viewer it looks like standard RV equipment on their Overland series. The Touring series is using Azdel flooring and dual pane windows and ducted AC but until go you go inside and poke around the campers it is hard to tell build quality.

Jayco was traditionally the “high” end RV manufacture but during covid and the rv boom the last 2 years quality really dropped across most manufactures to the point my local dealer who also has other makes and they said about 75% of the non NuCamp new units they were getting were failing initial inspection and needed warranty work before they could be sold.

1 Like

See example of useful comment above.

If you are going to be snarky, then I’ll be snarky.

RTFA, and then ask him, I know it’s in Indiana but what do you think about Ember, instead of What do you think about Ember after he stated he hated Indiana.

1 Like

I’m asking him if he has experience with a brand that’s been on the market for less than two years. I don’t know whether or not his experience encompasses this new brand, no matter where it’s from. The hell is your problem?

You answered with Snark, hence it’s my problem.

I just told you that he hated indiana and you asked about an Indiana Brand.

1 Like

BECAUSE IT’S A BRAND NEW PRODUCT. If it’s not constructive, just restrain yourself.

@schwartz

Jayco trailers were essentially junk well before Covid, and indeed on the downslide even before they were bought by Thor in 2016. Thor owns many of the big players now and they have also pretty much made every Airstream in such a way so as to have guaranteed issues over the last 10 years.

1 Like

I had a 2008 Jayco that was “so-so” by most standards and before buying I was in and out of every brand back then. Jayco is just a typical Indiana trailer as referenced above. Back then it was maybe 20% better than average.

To first principals, the problem is you are buying a little moving house that experiences a mag 3-5 earthquake on many trips… and you’re not paying a lot of money. No one wants to build anything too sturdy, it would cost an absolute fortune. Oh yeah, it would weigh a lot and most trucks couldn’t pull it. And the F-53 and other motorhome chassis cannot handle much payload either.

The answer is a diesel bus chassis with high quality components. Or possibly some of the $250k+ Sprinter builds if it’s just two people.

So pick two: price, quality, and weight.

1 Like

Well hopefully picking weight and quality. Finalizing price on an Ember 191MSL. MSRP is 69, I’ve gotten to 20k off. Physically seems solid and these overland types will probably hold their value better.