Model 3 Mid range available for Pre-Order

I agree, after using a few variations of lane keeping and active cruise I found that I have no interest in the autopilot stuff, granted I also don’t do a lot of highway or bumper to bumper traffic.

More interested in the electric performance and handling

As someone who commutes from San Jose, CA to Palo Alto, CA - ACC has made commuting so much easier.

Commute cuts through one of the stop and go-i-est areas of Northern CA where HOV lane moves between 5 and 40 MPG

1 Like

How? You still have to pay attention and you still have to put your hands on the wheel. How does taking your hand off the steering wheel every so often make it easier?

It’s less work. I don’t speed up, I don’t slow down. All I do is guide keep one hand on the wheel and just make sure the person in front of me doesn’t e-stop.

1 Like

I think I’ll save the 5,000 premium and push the pedals myself if that’s all it is.

On the Volt it’s $495…

1 Like

I have both the Tesla and the volt. The volt is cheaper, that’s basically the only advantage it has…

Good for you… You’re clearly not the target demographic. So of course you won’t find utility in that feature.

Bumper to Bumper, stop & go driving is very demanding cognitively and stresses your brain.

The cognitive load is much less with autopilot and ACC.

You are (almost) guaranteed to not rear-end anyone. You do not have to worry about someone cutting in front of you, just at the moment your eyes wandered to the billboard on the side; it will break for you.

As a result you can pay more attention to the audio book you are listening too, the meetings you want to plan ahead for. You can even use Siri et. al to send messages etc using voice commands.

4 Likes

That’s the last person I want driving behind me.

2 Likes

Isn’t the whole point of driving to get from A-B, not to be entertained as if you were in your living room?

1 Like

How about this, for less than the cheapest cup of coffee per day, you can have this awesome feature.*

• Standard disclaimer: You keep your car for at least 10 years and this feature works as advertised.

I second what bayarebmwfan said. Even less advanced bmw active cruise control prevented two small accidents for me. Knowing there is second set of eyes which can take action on behalf of you is priceless .

Just like rear cameras, I think collision prevention will be made mandatory in near future.

3 Likes

No, driving was a necessary part of getting from point A to B only because automated drivers didn’t exist when cars were invented. From the beginning and continuing to today, the very rich hire others to drive them, partly so they can do these other things (attend meetings, relax, etc). Self driving just brings the chauffeur to the masses.

4 Likes

You don’t have an obvious choice in deciding who drives behind you. But if you want to actively manage it, I would rather have a computer enhanced vehicle behind me than purely human.

1 Like

Hey,Mung35,

Also looking to purchase in Bay Area. Can you share your dealer, tips? THX.

As long as you have a tax liability over $7500 you will get all that money back. I own a Model 3 and also have had i3s and 435i and find the Model 3 a game changer. It is a fun driving car, moreso than my 4 series, it’s efficient, lots of cool tech and autopilot has reduced headache levels in traffic. For those with state incentives and get the federal rebate I find it to be an excellent value compared to an A4, C/E, 3/5 series. New model gets 260 miles and starts at 45k, with premium package included. If in CA it’s 45k - $7500 - $2500 (state credit for those under 300k salary) - $500 for those with PGE which can bring price to right under $35k. I have the LR RWD which epa reported a 334 mile range and Tesla sandbagged the number to 310 to keep it the same as AWD and performance trims. Reviews have been positive and those that knock on it I’d encourage extended time with the car before making conclusions.

1 Like

Yeah I did a test drive this weekend on a model 3 and was definitely impressed by it. The killer for me is the lack of leasing on it, otherwise I’d snatch it up.

1 Like

Its now $1000 more.

Got the car.
Love the autopilot and the quiet drive.
Literally feels like an hi-tech space ship.

Would love to have had more highway sound deadening material.