Model 3 Lease Details released

ROFL. Never heard of GM, American airlines or Sears have you?

People must be confusing bankruptcy with liquidation. A company can go bankrupt and still operate and even come out of bankruptcy stronger aka GM and American.

As for whether the govt would bail them out, there already is an expanded tax credit bill in the works

I agree with Michael. Ordering expensive software package from Tesla is a gamble (that they will get the software fully functional) on a gamble (that their EVs will retain value). Akin to ordering the wheel protection package at the Finance managers desk

Thatā€™s the big issue with Muskā€¦overpromise and under deliver. People paying for FSD now is just another way to give TSLA a free loan.

3 Likes

Tesla is collecting money without giving a return ā€“ plus it helps prop up their financial statements.

You do get a few tangible features like Summon if you pay for Full Self-Driving now, and theyā€™re planning on raising the price to $8,000 soon.

2 Likes

Is summon really worth 5 grand? It wouldnā€™t be to meā€¦I can walk 20 steps to my driverā€™s door.

2 Likes

Preach my man --all these gimmicks ā€“ i do like the interface and glass roof though ā€“ electric is the future

No doubt. Itā€™s just in its infancy. Itā€™s gonna take time though for the others to ramp up and adoption in the 49 states not named CA.

2 Likes

From their websiteā€¦you can see what FSD has now and what will have soon.

"Full Self-Driving Capability

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets."

Iā€™ll believe it when I see itā€¦later this year or 3 years from now. You never know with Muskā€¦like the 35k car that was way late to the party, and then hidden 6 weeks later.

Tbh, none of that currently available is worth 5 large to me; Iā€™m capable of doing all of those things myself. To each their own though.

Thatā€™s fineā€¦luckily for them you are not the only buyer in the market. You are definitely not from Ca either. I only takes you a few drives on 405, 110, 91 or the 5 to see value in their AP. Our freeways are parking lotsā€¦you donā€™t drive on them. I see Tesla owners everyday being driven to work by their cars. If what we are doing in L.A. is driving them iā€™m ready to sleep in my way to work.

Iā€™m not from CA, but I sit in a parking lot here too daily, both to and from work. Iā€™ve driven LA freeways several times with a stripper Cruze or a POS Versa too.

I guess itā€™s a CA thingā€¦I didnā€™t see much difference driving there vs the east coast.

My concern with all this BS, outside of not seeing the value, is people abusing its intended use and not paying attention like they should, or doing other things while the car ā€œdrives you.ā€ An airplane flies itself 95% of the timeā€¦but thereā€™s at least 1 person paying attention to what the hell is going on at all times too.

Software isnā€™t perfect, and it never will be. There will always be bugs or glitches.

And humans are? 20 years from now there will be only AP cars and over confident grandpas thinking they drive better.
Of course people abuse it but thatā€™s not a good enough excuse to stop progress on it.

1 Like

I never said stop progress. I just donā€™t like the concept coupled with morons behind the wheel.

No, never said humans are perfect either. That said, Iā€™d rather fly an airplane with someone paying attention to the controls than be stuck in traffic with a bullet coming right at me and the guy behind the wheel reading the Wall Street Journal.

Once againā€¦to each their own.

True that.

Interesting numbers released by Tesla last Qā€¦

ā€œDuring the Q4 2018 Tesla registered:
Autopilot engaged: one accident for every 2.91 million miles driven
Without Autopilot: one accident for every 1.58 million miles driven
NHTSAā€™s most recent data for U.S.: an automobile crash every 436,000 milesā€

Autopilot wonā€™t prevent someone else running into you. Thereā€™s always going to be people on there phones without a care, those are the ones you have to worry about. I agree it helps the drivers who has it, but itā€™s not worth $5k. All cars come standard with collision braking, which is really all you need if you pay attention. $8k possibly for a software that isnā€™t here, is ridiculous. As @mp11477 said this is a loan they are using to offset model 3 cost, to streamline production more and help their balance sheet

Hereā€™s the issue with thisā€¦

There are 200,000 Teslaā€™s on the road today, and not all of them are equipped with this. There are 20 million other cars on the road today not named Tesla. This would skew the average to Tesla. For example, out of those 200,000 Teslaā€™s without autopilot engaged, they are theoretically no safer than a regular car. Due to the smaller amount of them on the road today though, itā€™s easy to see why they went 1.6 million miles between an accident vs one of the 20,000,000 not named Tesla. Itā€™s really not apples to apples.

Not saying these numbers are wrong, but theyā€™re just a blip on the radar at the moment. Now, add a couple million Teslaā€™s to the fleet and then these numbers start to look a little more impressive, or less like spin.

1 Like

Actually even without taking Autopilot into consideration, Teslas are much safer than the average car.

Iā€™m talking accidents, not injury probability.

So a car in which passengers have a significantly less chance of suffering an injury is not safer?