Mitigation of layoff impact in Seattle and Norcal

Yep, exactly. As I said - never say never.

Fixed it for you

Married couple working for same company is risky although the allure of two goog income is vary tempting especially with the high cost of living. Also one should not have a significant amount of company stocks in their retirement accounts. Just ask those 7 figures 401k Enron employees. Your paycheck and RSUs are already tied to your employer. No need to put all eggs in one basket.

2 Likes

Nearly all of these tech employees have tons of equity in the companies. I agree it’s silly to put your eggs in one basket though I’m sure the insane compensation for what is essentially adult day care is attractive to many.

5 Likes

Yep, ur still wrong. Thx.

“So much of our worth and success has always been tied to our career and the name of our employer,”

And bragging about jobs perks on social media, while their employers are trying to cut back.

3 Likes

The first draft that quoted “I’ve been to the mountain top” was probably more impactful than what she delivered.

1 Like

That was indeed a terrible choice for a quote. According to Abraham Lincoln, MLK never had to lay off anyone.

1 Like

An all-time LH classic thread.

Thousands are being fired! How does this benefit my personal prospect of a slightly deeper discount on my new luxury vehicle?!?!?!

7 Likes

“How might I make discount lemonade from someone else’s full priced lemons?”

3 Likes

That’s how the world works.

There’s winners and losers. Which one will you be today?

Well… it is sort of level setting.

Many people got paid more to work at home so they paid over MSRP for wish cars they barely drove.

Now that the rush is over, inventories going up, plush buyers going down… hack time!!

But I think it’s going to be slow because it will take a while for mfrs/dealers to need to incentivize… which is why people are looking at EV credit deals.

It’s generally considered polite to at least nod to someone’s deep personal misfortune before you ask how to exploit it.

3 Likes

Would think of more so how it helps inflation. These tech companies paid out tons of dough for their workers to basically mess around all day, fueled by the immense liquidity provided by central banks.

It sucks they lost their jobs but these bloated tech jobs going away represents nature healing economically from the voodoo world we’ve been living in.

“Exploit” is a bit strong as the OP asked how it would impact the luxury car market and what would dealers do.

But yes, layoffs are unfortunate for those affected, but company bloat is unfortunate for the economy and everyone in general.

As was a pandemic… as was supply chain issues… as was exorbitant dealer blessings.

It’s capitalism, exploiting is the name of the game.

IMO this whole website is to exploit dealers’ misfortunes and turn them into a nice deal for us.

I don’t see the misfortune in being a volume leader.

2 Likes

Come on this is what this country has gone too. Headline hunting, 30 second uninformative biased clips, and polarization/exploration for gain. One man’s pain is another man’s gain.

1 Like

I don’t think hacking leases exploits the dealer. They get their share.

Exorbitant markups and overcharging for tint, paint/fabric protection, flashing brake lights, Karr alarm, etc is what I consider “exploiting”.

6 Likes

It’s balancing the equation. Dealers often overcharge majority of customers, sometimes they discount to hit the bigger value. No one is putting a gun to their head or forcing them to do it.

2 Likes