Minor prang that will need fixing

I lend my car to the missus for one day and she smashes it into a pillar in her work car park that she must have parked in 1000+ times!

Anyway its enough damage to go beyond wear and tear so I will be getting it fixed. I will also let the leasing company know. Does anyone know if it will affect any pull ahead options etc that I will have? I was hoping to swap it out for something bigger, as soon as I had a chance.

What’s a prang? Pull ahead doesn’t mean you aren’t liable for damage it just means you get to return it early without having to pay the remaining payments. They will charge you for it.

1 Like

It won’t affect anything if repaired properly. You can still do a pull ahead without repair if one is offered…you’d just owe excessive damage charges.

1 Like

You don’t have to tell them anything. Just fix it.

6 Likes

Sorry. English. A prang is a fender bender! Basically this- image|640x480

Drivers side. How on earth did she miss a floor to ceiling 2x2 foot pillar!

I know Pull Ahead doesn’t clear me of any additional costs, I’m just hoping that I’m not excluded from the option due to this. We will be repairing it ASAP and I have 11 months left. I just wasn’t to upsize ASAP

I’ve let them know :grimacing:. They said it was no big issue.
Have I made as big an error as my wife!

1 Like

Not at all, Once you fix it they won’t care.

1 Like

That’s about the easiest spot to repair if she were to hit something. You could probably do it yourself if you’re handy, and with a little luck that there’s a fender at a junkyard that matches your paint color. This happened to me, although someone hit and ran me. I found a fender at a junkyard for 100 bucks, had the old one off and new one on in about 20 mins and nobody was none the wiser.

It’s a 2019 car so I don’t hold out much hope. I also have no skills that I’d rely upon!

One guy has quoted us a week and a half to get it done which seems ridiculous

You’d be surprised. Mine was a 16 IN 16, and I actually had a few to choose from. It was about 6 bolts that fastened it to the car and it popped right off.

That said, if it’s not something you feel comfortable doing, take it to the body shop to have them do it and avoid making things worse. 1.5 weeks does seem excessive. It Shouldn’t take more than 2-3 days max, with most of that due to painting the fender and blending. Removal and installation shouldn’t take them more than 15-20 mins, unless there’s more damage than the front fender that isn’t shown.

Another guy quoted 2-3 days which seems far more realistic to my untrained eye.

The fender has been pulled slightly away from the door panel though, so perhaps there is more damage than just the fender itself

My wife did something very similar also hitting a pole. Insurance paid around 3K to fix it. Took about a week to fix.

1 Like

Ugh $3k!

We have almost identical damage on our Highlander for the exact same reason - husband smashed into the pillar in our parking spot that he must’ve parked in hundreds of times by now. :roll_eyes: Very annoying as I was hoping to Vroom it before Christmas but I guess that’ll have to wait now. I was going to just pay out of pocket for the repair but at $3k, I guess thats what insurance is for

Shop around. Quoted prices to insurance and what you pay out of pocket can wildly differ. Make sure you let body shops know that you’re paying out of pocket.

1 Like

2019-12-06_12-54-31

I just checked it was actually $2600. Rest was rental car. But Jananth1 is right cash price may be better.

2 Likes

Tell me that was more than just a fender and repaint? Did they actually repair or replace the fender?

Any wheel damage?

My wife did that to the door of our RX, it was 3 or 4k

It’s likely a replace with OEM, and paint blend.

Personally I’d just grab a same color ebay or junk yard fender and throw it on…

That’s what I did…100 bucks, car wasn’t even a year old yet, so no need to blend. Done in 20 mins and a beer.