MINI Electric--Anyone Jumping In?

With them introducing the '24 Mini E with nearly 2x the range this car (I think) is a dog. The sales people have said as much w/o coming flat out and admitting it. They put a ton of pressure on us to make the deal because it was “ending” October 31. Of course they extended the same deal into November and I am hard pressed to believe they won’t continue it in December. The question is…will they also sweeten the deal in Dec. Putting 3500 down on this car for the limited range just isn’t worth the money. It’s effectively in the same ballpark price wise as the Bolt which has more than twice the range when you consider the down.

Nor-cal dealers are advertising EQBs for mid $300’s/mo with 2K Das with MSDs.

how many MSD’s–what is the total amount?

I signed up for a decent deal (for a mini) on October 31st - and was a little disappointed to see the offer renewed for November which makes me think maybe I could have gotten an even better deal in December but I’m happy with the car so not really regretful.

As far as new mini e- my salesman said it’s not coming to US for at least 2025 MY due to something about China. I agree increases range on the mini se would be a game changer but if it adds more weight then it’s not a mini.

I’ve had an i3, bolt, driven all the tesla models - 0-60 time aside the mini se drives different more planted more sporty a ride. Yes there are better bang for your buck evs out there. I would say mini is more fun to drive than all of them- but it’s definitely for a specific driver - using it as a 2nd car (my case), someone that doesn’t need a family hauler and doesn’t put a lot of miles down in a trip.

We have some available, if you’re in the North East

Needs a better range.

I would check out a core model XC40 or C40 recharge. Possible to get them in the 300s per month.

Not in Los Angeles…I haven’t seen em for that.

That was October deals, not Nov.

What did you end up doing @mig1? Again I am in similar position, based in northern CA, have an i3 lease about to end. I’m way under my milage allowance (by about 15k!), but not sure how I could use that to my advantage. Looks like if I place a (refundable) order for a BMW or mini I will be able to extend the i3 lease till May.

The current nationally advertised Mini SE offer seems to be $279/mo with $3649 DAS. And whoa only 5k mi/year included. So still not great.

1 Like

Maybe down, before taxes, fees, dealer add ons, etc. Definitely isnt what is das if thats the number theyre advertising.

still haven’t made a move…i’m hoping these MINI dealers will enhance the otherwise crappy nationally advertised offer.

BMW used to be one of few that gave an unused mileage credit ($200 max iirc) if you check the wiki.

Extend the i3 lease, order something rare/slow the dealer will want to be stuck with.

Consider today your lucky day, as the $9,900 lease credit has now jumped to $11,900.

PJ

2 Likes

Ah I see, yes just today they now are advertising $239/mo, $3539 DAS. Yes of course there is fine print (" Tax, title, license, registration and dealer fees are additional fees due at signing.") fyi @mig1. But the deal is indeed $2000 better than yesterday (or anytime in the last couple of months I think).

I wonder if this deal will continue to improve as they get closer to taking orders for the completely redesigned Mini Cooper EV (2025 model), and as interest rates drop? Or if this is the best we are likely to see between now and May 2024.

I know I am of no help here in regard to the lease, but I currently own a Mini Cooper SE (2023) and absolutely enjoy it. I purchased it as I intend for this thing to just be a car that we use around town and an extra car. I don’t need it for long road trips as I have another car for that. It is an absolute joy. I also did own a BMW i3 prior to it and I wanted to say that I probably enjoyed that i3 a bit more than the Mini SE. The Mini has a bit more torque which results in less steering feel than the i3. But, still love the car and will keep it forever. Just wanted to provide my thoughts on this…albeit not lease related.

It’s good to know. I’d trade some range and practicality off something like a Leaf for the joy factor

I think you’re referring to the torque steer on the front-wheel drive Mini SE. Yes, I do prefer the rear wheel drive on the i3. But in my brief test-drive, I felt the mini actually handled bumps in the road a little bit more elegantly than the i3. Not sure if you agree. What do you think of the mini SE on the highway? The i3 is not great with highway tracking…tends to need plenty of tweaking to keep it centered in the lane. How’s the Mini?

By the way, I test drove an i3s (Sport BEV). Really liked it! Better than both the mini SE and the regular i3. Faster and better tracking than my regular i3. I just can’t justify spending $27k for a used one today when its value is dropping like a rock - by at least $500/month it appears.

I currently have 2024 mini se. I used to have 2016 i3 (as well as 2020 bolt). Never drove i3s though. IMHO mini feels quicker and more planted than i3 - highway even more so. I don’t know if it’s the tire width or ?suspension difference or ride height? But my i3 was my first ev so I don’t think I appreciated as much as I should. As comparison to fwd to fwd - Range aside, the bolt felt less stable, more sqirrly in handling and I would always get wheel slip and squeal when accelerating during sporty driving (that might be a cheaper tire thing).