Might be able to get good deal on Range Rover sport but

Might be able to get a good deal on a 17 RRsport through a friend. Lease (all in) would work out to be about .008 of msrp. So for a decently specced SE model at 74k, my payment could be around 600.

Up until now I’ve been toying with the idea of a ex service loaner x3 35i In the low 500s potentially.

Anything else I should consider in that range? Looking for:
AWD, sub 6 0-60, 6+ cylinders (so no volvos), pref SUV with leather. Adaptive cruise, upgraded sound system, decent handling, shorter than 195 inches.

Another twist is that I’m now considering stretching a bit to get a v8’RR sport in the low 700s. I’ve never considered spending that much before and am probably a bit star struck by the deal. So if I did decide to spend that much is there anything else I should consider?

So no. If you can get an RR that low then pull the trigger.

Is there any cash down on the lease?

Agree… that’s a great deal on a RRS. They don’t typically lease even at 1% of MSRP.

If it were me, I’d get a 6 cylinder gas or diesel HSE vs the V8.

Is your friend a GM of a LR dealer?

At 600 would say the range right ber is a great option. If you want to drop down to 400, lexus rx 350 or infiniti qx50/60may be worth looking at. If you want to go to 700 then the higher trim rover makes sense but is a fair chunk of change.

Get the Range. End of discussion.

Can you share more details of the RR? What location is the dealer? I’m in socal and might be interested in this deal if you are A) not going for it or B) they will replicate it.

@Richardh if you’re comfortable with a car in the low $500s, to go to $600 is not much of a stretch for a much nicer car at a great deal (if there’s no upfront money, obviously not $600/mo if you have to plunk down $3k or something like that).

As far as SUVs go, you kind of adapt to the type of car you are driving. A range rover is a luxurious SUV and doesn’t “ask” to be driven fast just by what it is. I always felt that you kinda adapt to the type of car you are driving. If you’re wanting a fast car, then maybe an SUV isn’t the right choice. To go up many $100s to make a car faster that’s really not meant for that type of driving seems like a waste.

Also if you haven’t driven the car, maybe that’s a start to see if you even like it. World of difference between X3 and a RR.

I’m not sure if RR allows lease transfers (you would have to check), but if they do and you can get the car at $600, if you don’t like it after a year, it’s likely you can just swap out of it and get something else given the payment and if you have enough miles/month left not he car.

Thanks for all the feedback:

To answer some of the questions:
-My friend works at JLRNA-- this is a very limited deal that I cannot share / cannot be replicated. sorry.
-They (Chase) don’t allow lease transfers. The RRS seems to hold it’s value well though, so it is possibe that I could trade it in after 1 year and not be upside down (might even have equity)
-No money down
-Limited to dealer stock only (no dealer swaps allowed so I’d have to travel to whichever dealer has the car i’d like)
-I’ve driven the HSE Dynamic model (basically a v6 with 10k worth of standard options plus adaptive shocks and autobiography-style seats and wheels). Really liked it.

BUT, crazy as it sounds, I still have some hesitation after doing some more thinking/research:
-LR does not include free maintenance. 3 year maintenance pacakge seems to run about $1200 for v6 and 1800 for v8. So add on roughly $40/month for amortized maintenace costs.
-They don’t have a great reputation for reliability or quality so I’d likely be making multiple trips per year to the dealer to deal with various issues. That being said, the car looks/feels very solid with very nice materials and finishes.
-The tech and ergonomics are far behind the best Germans. Coming from years of BMW ownership, it might bug me. For example, you can’t even enter an address into the nav system using voice. No apple carplay either.
-As I mentioned above, the HSE dyanmic trim would be perfect because it’s not a gas pig like the v8 but it includes adaptive dampers and paddle shifters. The adaptive dampers make a surprisingly big difference in handling. Unfortuantely, it’s very hard to find any left of dealer lots that aren’t stupidly specced (4k paint jobs, 22" wheels, red interiors, etc). The “extra duty package” on the SE and HSE also include adaptive dameprs but those are even harder to find.
-I’d also really like adaptive cruise control and that option is also very hard to find on SE and HSE models. ~600 is still a hefty payment and to not get a car w/ everything i want at that price would porbably bug me.
-Which led me to looking at the V8 models where it’s easier to find those options plus they all come w/ adaptive dampers, active roll control and paddles (again, coming from BMWs i’ve grown fond of using them).
-BUT, now I’m spending in the 700s to get everything I want. Still a deal, but…

• I could custom order a BMW x3 40i or 540i AWD with everything I want and it would likely come out somewhere in the mid to high sixes. Obviously, I’m comparing vehicles in very different classes, but I still find them very appealing and they would also meet my needs/wants. Not as good in terms of payment to MSRP perspective, and but still cheaper than the great deal on a v8 RRS. Both are just as quick as a v8 RRS, handle better, get much better fuel econ, have better seats, have the latest/greatest tech and are likely to have much fewer issues.
    -But the RR grabs me more emotionally- love the way it looks and of course the V8 sounds fanstastic. Inteior looks way more special than the Germans even if the functionality isn’t as good. Will likely never get a chance like this again.
    -If I could get any vehicle right now, I’d probably choose the new Cayenne S. But those are easily over $1k a month and laughably outside my budget.
    t

I’m not sure how high your equipping your 540, but mid 600s is not likely. Assuming your going pretty loaded with M, divers east. Adaptive cruise, Napa leather, etc.

I own an RRS. Havent tried the 6 cylinder, but have to say the 8 is great. The beast can really jump if you step on the gas. The car is well insulated so you dont hear much road noise, however since knew there have always been creaky bits inside the cabin.

Where did you get your maintenance numbers from? On mine the maintenance (oil change and a kick on the tires) is $1,200/year or interval. I would jump on those packages.

In terms of your comments on looks and tech, I am in 100% agreement. The RR has a much nicer look and the interior is more luxurious. However, the tech is terrible on the RR. PRobably the only reason I am here looking at leases on other cars is because the tech is so bad in my car. My old lexus has much better tech, but wasnt as nice looking and driving.

18 RRS has the much needed updated screen, tech and finally led headlights

Was inspired by this thread:

Yeah- I’m sure squeaks and rattles are par for the course.

Wow-- $1200 year sounds insane on a new car. I think you could even run an out of warranty BMW for that.

Here’s where I saw the prices for prepaid maintenance. I was wrong- looks like they don’t have different prices for v8 model (though i had seen that somewhere). RRS is listed at 1350 for 3 years.

I’m assuming your RRS is 2016 or earlier. I’ve used that system and it’s awful- extremely slow w/ outdated graphics. Atleast the system in the 2017s is the newer Incontrol Touch Pro. It’s much better but sounds like they still have quite a few bugs to work out (and some missing features). The 2018s have the same system but w/ updated graphics and the lower screen “Touch Pro Duo”.

HOw has it been mechanically? Any unexpected issues?

The opportunity i have only applies to 17s, but personally, I have no interest in the dual screen system that the 18s are getting. Tried it in a velar and it seemed clunky, buggy and kind of awkward to use. Prefer the old school climate control buttons/ knobs in the 17s. It’s the same basic system as the 17s, but they’ve just added the 2nd screen and updated the graphics.

Mine is the old body style. I have 60k miles now and mechanically the only problem I had was a few months ago the water pump failed.