Middle class priced out of auto leasing / buying Market

This wrangler phenomena really beats me. I droven it twice (rented on Big Island) and the second time I kept asking myself why did I do it, after the first.

And now it is new hottness here. I understand it has certain appeal, but to become as widespread…

1 Like

It’s a cheap lease that you can effectively fuel for free as long as you have a power source that you don’t pay for.

Other than that, it’s not that great of a car.

5 Likes

I mean I have a garage, but that thread is too many steps and makes my head hurt.

Replace reliable with flashy

I remember, 10 years ago, a lot of middle class families (with 2 children) were perfectly content with buying a new Corolla, Camry, Civic, Accord as a daily driver & then people saved up to get a minivan to get a family transportation.

Now the Durango is the new minivan.

1 Like

Carnival.

Or the Model X if you can hang.

If you are living paycheck to paycheck then you are working poor and not middle class to be honest.

1 Like

I know a guy whose salaried at 200k/year before bonuses and lives paycheck to paycheck.

Just saying…

2 Likes

What qualifies as middle class these days?

1 Like

Says you. Take my Billet Silver over your Priu…err…Tezla any day. No one even sees a Tesla any more, they just blend. But the 4XE…you gotta be the type that enjoys chatting up strangers and waving all the time.

Do you have a source for this? I may have missed it in some other thread. I was under the impression that capacity increases slated for 2022 are meant for newer tech, not the legacy tech that automakers currently use.

1 Like

I bet most of those college kids have them at the pleasure of their well off parents.

In my part of NJ, I see plenty of HS kids driving 330’s, are they leasing them for themselves?!?

They’re getting common enough in and around DFW and certain points southwest.

Maybe not North and South Bay proliferation just yet but it is fast approaching and I expect a takeover once GigaTexas gets going.

Pretty remarkable really, considering, we both have grid issues independent of EV adoption, and both get the occasional historic freeze. Still the state populations and urban areas expand, making EVs more practical from a personal and community view. Your oil will find other uses, and I suspect a lot of residential and commercial solar is coming to your roofs soon.

Feel like I’m seeing an anon release base salary bump every month on exec sum and litquidity.

1 Like

Do I have a source that these plants are specifically for auto parts? Aside from Toyota building their own chip plant, no However why would you assume they are only for new tech? People are spending billions to build new plants to meet existing need not some possible new tech that may need them in the future. It would be asinine to build a new plant and not supply the auto industry.

Can you go to the air show and see what they removed from the planes? And take pictures, please.

I didn’t mean it in a snarky way… I was genuinely curious because I’m hoping you’re correct.

Anyway, by “new tech” I meant current tech, or just not old legacy tech that automakers use.

Companies like Intel are more profitable off sales of current generation chips to tech companies for use in laptops, tablets, cell phones, etc. Automakers which use legacy tech are not seen as a very profitable venture for chip makers, and thus automakers are also lower on the totem pole when it comes to supply planning.

I have friends over at Intel, one of whom is a director at a mfg plant, and they’re aware of plans to expand capacity for current generation tech, but aren’t aware of plans to expand capacity for legacy tech. That’s why I was hoping you had a source. Selfishly, I’ll be in the market for a new car mid-late 2022 and I’d love nothing more than for these supply chain issues to ease up by then.

I’ve read around a bit that new tech vs old tech is critical. Chop manufacturers want to move to smaller architecture (10nm and smaller) per wafer because that lowers their costs and enables them to produce more chips per wafer.

Car tech is using between 60 to 90 nm architectures in their products because vehicle manufacturing product lives are measured in decades, not months.

This is a critical point that COVID exposed. This was going to be an issue down the line, COVID just made it happen sooner and harder.

That’s why auto manufacturers are now trying to move chip manufacturing in-house. You think Intel and ARM want to exclusively make chips for cars?

2 Likes

Totally agree

So many openings

So much attrition

Boston and San Fran both, at least in the health tech sector. It’s really hard to retain good talent right now and these young folks are being paid extremely well but are quick to jump to the nearest 10% increase in salary.

4 Likes